Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door locks and windshield sprayer gone wild!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locks and windshield sprayer gone wild!

A week or so ago I noticed that after exiting the jeep and hitting the lock button on my fob, the doors did not lock but the horn still sounded. Pulled the fuse and sure enough, it was toast. Then the damnedest happened when I replaced it, the windshield sprayer ran continuosly until I could get the fuse back out. Did some fast testing to see if the doors would lock with the fuse back in and the sprayer going but no dice. Vehicle specifics are as follows: 07 JKU Sahara mostly unmodified with 80,900 miles. Anybody seen this before and able to help, or point me to a thread? I tried the search box but my search fu is weak this morning.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Things i would check...battery condition...local auto parts store will do that for free, ground and power wires from battery and terminals, check your chassis ground right next to the battery...probably painted underneath like mine was, see if you have a loose connection at your fuse box..but i know jk's do strange things with poor grounds or a battery on it's way out.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After checking all the battery cables and grounds, try changing the fuse with the battery disconnected and then leave it disconnected for a few minutes.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Some of the first things I did. Thanks for the replies though. I'm beginning to think it's a chassis control module freak-out.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had similar problems with the locks after a business trip. My wipers weren't affected, but the horn kept sounding. After further inspection, I found that squirrels made a nest in the space next to the battery and chewed up a wiring harness. You might want to check for rodent damage. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Check the main ground on the battery, I've seen that cause weird things before. Even had that fry an ecm.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wondering if you ever figured out what was going on.

My locks stopped working, went to replace the fuse for the locks that had blown and it started sparking and burned off the ends of the fuse right into the box (seems like a short) because the fuse didn't blow correctly. Did not try to put another fuse in because something is obviously going on.

Anyways my windshield sprayer no longer works with out a fuse in this slot. Been trying to figure out what is causing this but no dice so far. Are power locks and the sprayer for the front windshield on the same fuse?

Where should I be looking to try to solve this problem and get my locks/sprayer working again?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJeschke
Some of the first things I did. Thanks for the replies though. I'm beginning to think it's a chassis control module freak-out.

Similar thing started happening to my daughter's Saturn. She thought it was haunted.
Bad BCM. Body Control Module.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

clockspring?
Old 09-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

OMG! This thread must rise from the dead. This is exactly what is going on with my JK right now. Does anyone know how to solve this? Exactly the same description as the first post started by BigJeschke. My door locks randomly stopped working. The fuse M38 is blown but as soon as I insert a new fuse, it kicks on the windshield wash sprayer. It stays on and the fuse doesn't blow.

I keep trying to figure out a way to send BigJeschke and ask him but I think he left the forum.

Quick Reply: Door locks and windshield sprayer gone wild!