Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine won't run

Old 04-15-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't run

Scenario:
I drove into a mud hole. Mostly soup. Deep enough to run just below the door seals.
Went forward just fine steamed up everywhere, then got stuck, let off the gas to throw it in reverse and it died. Would only start, idle for a few seconds below normal rpms then die again. Would not accelerate at all. Never had a chance to try and get unstuck. Once out on dry land it started and ran just fine.

I'm positive the tail pipe may have been under water but can't confirm as no one behind me noticed. But a brand new engine dying because of a few inches of water? Seriously? What the hell would cause that? Is there some kind of sensor that says "hey ur in water, you can't do that!"
I was horribly disappointed that I never even had a chance to attempt my own drive out.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?
Thanx
Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go through the usual a. Check for water in the intake, check for water in the fuse box, look for mud on connectors, etc. Make sure you didn't get debris that might have caught up somewhere, pulled a wire, etc. Your story of events is vague. Many details missing and really could pose any scenario to be honest.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where you at creakside? man I have no idea what you did I have been in water sludge muck everything. do you have a snorkel, lift mud tires?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a flooded engine. When you stop in a hole you ask for it to come in especially when you attempt to back out after. Anything that can go up to your doors starts getting crazy. If you frequent water you may want to invest in a snorkel.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Take it by the stealership they will find it.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

The reason story is so vague for some of you is the exact reason the problem is unanswered.
There is absolutely NOTHING out of the ordinary. Like I said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the vehicle now. But it wouldn't run. Unless I can find a 15" puddle to replicate the problem, the dealer can't do shit. Which is why I asked on here. Hoping someone may have experienced a similar situation.
No. A snorkel is not required. It came up to my door sills, NOT my hood!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

If your exhaust was in the water when you let off the gas then you reduced your back pressure enough to allow the exhaust to suck water into the system. Just bring it to the dealership and hope that they don't find water in your intake manifold indicating you induced water into the engine.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds electrical. Which you could yet may never find........
Old 04-18-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Sounds electrical. Which you could yet may never find........
This is the most likely answer.
All other possibilities have been ruled out. However, without a large body of water to test the back pressure theory, that is still in question as well.
No. Water didn't go anywhere it wasn't supposed too. No. It does get sucked up into the system because the engine dies. It will only go as far as the outside level around it. Which was maybe a couple above the tip. Like I stated, the engine started up as normal as soon as it was out and I've been driving it daily ever since.

I'm just looking to reproduce the problem so I know how to prevent it again.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GoinCamando
This is the most likely answer. All other possibilities have been ruled out. However, without a large body of water to test the back pressure theory, that is still in question as well. No. Water didn't go anywhere it wasn't supposed too. No. It does get sucked up into the system because the engine dies. It will only go as far as the outside level around it. Which was maybe a couple above the tip. Like I stated, the engine started up as normal as soon as it was out and I've been driving it daily ever since. I'm just looking to reproduce the problem so I know how to prevent it again.
try running the engine and carefully spraying a hose over various parts. That may be the only way you narrow it down.

Quick Reply: Engine won't run