Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First time changing diff fluid

Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time changing diff fluid

So I have a 12JKU with 24k and while at the stealership I was told the rear diff fluid needs to be changed. Now after some research I am left wondering do I need to take cover off for all changes or can I leave it on for the first change???? Or is leaving the cover on just plain lazy?? RTV or locker lube??
Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

you can leave the cover on if you dont feel comfortable taking it off. the diffs have drain plugs on them. simply take the drain plug out and let it drain completely, then fill it back up in the filler hole.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would see what the oil looks like when you drain it. And also take a look at the magnet on the drain plug. If the oil isn't milky and there's no metal chips on the magnet, then plug it and fill it back up. There will very likely be some very fine metal shavings on the magnet, but that's normal. Also, make sure you remove the fill plug first before opening the drain plug.

I always use RTV and I've never had any problems, but that's just my personal preference.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

It is normal for the rear to have fine magnetic
Sludge on it. That's what the magnet is for. Don't let that concern you. I recommend driving for a bit to warm things up. This will help with draining. I also recommend a cheap pump from auto parts place or harbor freight. Should not be more than $10. Dealers are lying scum. I took my jeep in for the slow clock TSB. The dealer told me all my fluids looked dirty and needed to be changed. Little did they know, I changed them all about two weeks prior to bringing it in. I too have a 2012. The differential drain plugs are your friend. I recommend synthetic and go up in weight for the rear if you plan to tow.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default its easyer to just

maneuver the quart bottle to the refill hole and squeeze it in those cheap little pumps don't like heavy diff oil or gear oil . Just end up making more of a mess
Cut a good amount off the oil bottle nozzle and use both hands and squeeze it right in there front is done the same way just more obstructions you need to really jam the bottle between obstructions , It will go
Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I find if you jack up the Jeep a little it can make getting the bottle into place easier.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
maneuver the quart bottle to the refill hole and squeeze it in those cheap little pumps don't like heavy diff oil or gear oil . Just end up making more of a mess Cut a good amount off the oil bottle nozzle and use both hands and squeeze it right in there front is done the same way just more obstructions you need to really jam the bottle between obstructions , It will go
I hear ya, but just by squeezing it in I found I could not get all the fluid out if the container, wasting it. The pump was a little messy, but wit patience it works. Next time I will also try jacking it up a bit. Here is the pump I use: http://m.harborfreight.com/multi-use...not%20provided
Old 08-19-2014, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

I couldn't find the bottle pump. So, I went to the dollar store picked up a plastic condiment bottle ( like you would use for mustard) with a pointed tip.

Fill it up point and squeeze. Bonus mine has ml increments on it too.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

I pulled my covers, but mainly because I was adding PS diff covers. I also wanted to see what's going on in there, lol. It's easy enough to just drain and fill with just the plugs though. I'm running Lube Lockers also.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

When I drained the rear it was very dirty, 20K miles, I pulled the cover so I could clean it out good. The front was still clean so I just drained and refilled. Took less then a six pack to finish the job.

Quick Reply: First time changing diff fluid