Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front drive shaft 20,000

Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front drive shaft 20,000

Took the jeep to the sierras for some fun and noticed in 4 low down hill over rocks off the throttle i was getting this metallic clanking sound, much like a u-joint after reading many threads on this forum it sounded like the rzeepa joint at the transfer case so i took it into Jeep explained the situation and they told me the have already replaced 5-6 in 2013+ Rubicons they agreed that was the problem and gladly replaced it. on my way home there is a very noticeable vibration over 65 from what i know on the rubi the hubs do not disconnect so the drive shaft always spins. so I crawled under the jeep and noticed there are 5 wights added to balance it and the original only had 1 The dealer agreed to take a look they are going to remove the drive shaft to see if the vibration goes away and address the problem. Has anyone ever had this problem with a replacement shaft? and can someone confirm that the front drive shaft always spins even in 2wd? leaving soon for 2 weeks to Colorado and moab dont need any problems

Thanks
Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkeyfist
Took the jeep to the sierras for some fun and noticed in 4 low down hill over rocks off the throttle i was getting this metallic clanking sound, much like a u-joint after reading many threads on this forum it sounded like the rzeepa joint at the transfer case so i took it into Jeep explained the situation and they told me the have already replaced 5-6 in 2013+ Rubicons they agreed that was the problem and gladly replaced it. on my way home there is a very noticeable vibration over 65 from what i know on the rubi the hubs do not disconnect so the drive shaft always spins. so I crawled under the jeep and noticed there are 5 wights added to balance it and the original only had 1 The dealer agreed to take a look they are going to remove the drive shaft to see if the vibration goes away and address the problem. Has anyone ever had this problem with a replacement shaft? and can someone confirm that the front drive shaft always spins even in 2wd? leaving soon for 2 weeks to Colorado and moab dont need any problems

Thanks
Yes the front shaft spins all the time. The Jeep does not have lock out hubs. Power is not going to the front wheels in 2 wd.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Yes That's what I thought thank you for the input I'll keep my fingers crossed with the new driveshaft
Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Monkeyfist

Thanks
UPDATED, so the dealership replaced my driveshaft for the second time and the vibration stopped all was good took it to the mountains for some 4-low action on the rocks no clanging at all problem gone....2 weeks later left to Colorado and Moab for 13 days by the time i made it to Moab on day 5 I noticed a slight clanging coming back on day 12 the last run that we did was "top of the world' and coming down it sounded like my old 69 ford with a fried u-joint! that means the new shaft only made it +- 2000 miles which is hard to believe now even though i have some video of the noise the dealer said since he cannot duplicate the noise he will not change it again. has anyone seen this type of quick failure before? i guess it is time for a double carden
Old 07-28-2015, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are lifted, you will probably need to go aftermarket. Here is a link to my experience
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ime-ds-324359/

I will also add that disconnecting the sway bar can add to the problem because it adds more angle to the joint when you are flexing.

Last edited by crzyamerican; 07-28-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by crzyamerican
If you are lifted, you will probably need to go aftermarket. Here is a link to my experience
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ime-ds-324359/

I will also add that disconnecting the sway bar can add to the problem because it adds more angle to the joint when you are flexing.
Yes to the lift I have the AEV 2.5 netted 3" lift with the geo brackets 34" tires and 4.56 gears just seem odd to go out so soon, thanks for the post
Old 07-29-2015, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default mine was spewing

grease from the u jount (replaced at 17,000 miles ) but mine was not wheeled and got a nice new one . no issues after that . you cant just replace u joint you need whole drive shaft . mine isnt lifted i still have the hopping feeling slightly under seat like a unballanced tire but not the tires or wheels either . ill drive it till somthing surfaces seeing cant find the reason its minor though and nothing seems to break or worsen over time . strange i have replacement ball joints and axle joints if those go at some point but never could find the reason for the slight wob wub wub feeling goin on , not the drive shaft as i thought originally . its nothing i cant live with but happens at all speeds like a flat spot on tire . but original tire on there it could be felt too. so i give up lol i was thinkin maybe the dealer towed the front wheels in to much maybe who knows but tires are wearing perfectly so my thought seems to not be that either now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2389 (2).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	619753  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 07-29-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Front drive shaft 20,000