Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 door with Rusty's Offroad 3.25 Basic lift and AEV Geometry Brackets (time for a DS)

Old 07-23-2015, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 door with Rusty's Offroad 3.25 Basic lift and AEV Geometry Brackets (time for a DS)

I just wanted to make this post for informational purposes for others who may be considering a similar setup.

My experience with a 2013 2Dr Lifted with a Rusty's Offroad 3.25 Basic lift, AEV Geometry Brackets, running on 33's.
I have no complaints with Rusty's Lift. Nothing has failed and everything has held up with moderate wheeling for more then 6,000 miles on my daily driver so far. I am very happy with the lift. The lift actually netted me 4". When it was first installed the jeep was quite a bit loose or flighty at speeds above 40. This is why I installed the geometry Brackets. The brackets really improved the handling. The only thing I didn't notice was that they also made the angle of the front drive shaft more severe at the transfer case. Last weekend while out wheeling I noticed the clicking of the front drive shaft as soon as I put it in 4WD. It was even more pronounced in 4Lo. When I looked under the JK I could see the tell tale signs of imminent failure (grease slung around the sealed joint at the TC). After researching I found an affordable upgrade on ebay that some of you I'm sure have heard of "Tatton's Driveshafts". The price is great and it appears to be quality work. I went ahead and purchased a "HEAVY DUTY FRONT JK JEEP 1310 CV DRIVESHAFT" built for my lift height. It is scheduled to be here next week. I will try give a short review after installing it and running it for a bit if interest is shown. So far my experience has been a good one. I called to get an estimated time I might expect it (Curtis suggests calling over emailing). Curtis was friendly and sounded very customer oriented. He asked if I was in a rush and said he would start building it right away and ship it out the next day. He emailed me a thank you and the tracking number the next day. Cant wait to get it installed and hit the trails again!

I welcome any feedback from others that have used a Tatton Driveshaft. Also if you have a similar set up, whats been your experience?

Also, although I still have a warranty, I didn't even bother trying to get it covered for 2 reasons. First they most likely wouldn't have covered it and I would have just wasted my time. Second even if they did replace it I am sure it would have failed within a few thousand miles again. With the aftermarket Drive Shaft I get the added bonus of being able to replace bad U-Joints on the trail and a much stronger Drive Shaft.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a tatton front shaft, same one you ordered, for about a year and a half now. The price and service was great!

My only complaint is the centering ball on the DC joint needs to be greased at every oil change. This is maintenance all greasable shafts have to have done, and is a pain cause you have to disconnect the shaft from the transfer case to do so. You can't just squirt grease into that zirk cause it's hidden until you disconnect the shaft. Sometimes I miss the maintenance free factory shaft, lol
Old 07-23-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biginboca
I have a tatton front shaft, same one you ordered, for about a year and a half now. The price and service was great!

My only complaint is the centering ball on the DC joint needs to be greased at every oil change. This is maintenance all greasable shafts have to have done, and is a pain cause you have to disconnect the shaft from the transfer case to do so. You can't just squirt grease into that zirk cause it's hidden until you disconnect the shaft. Sometimes I miss the maintenance free factory shaft, lol
Good to know. I wasn't aware any of the zirks were hidden. I'll put that on my maintenance schedule.

Quick Reply: 2 door with Rusty's Offroad 3.25 Basic lift and AEV Geometry Brackets (time for a DS)