Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Gas tank overflows while pumping with automatic gas pump nozzle?

Is anyone out there having the trouble I am while filling their gas tanks up using the automatic feature on most typical gas pumps out west. I know back in the northeast they no longer have this feature, where you can put the gas pump nozzle in your gas tank inlet, squeeze the trigger and then set it to automatically shut off when your tank is full. What happens is that it starts overflowing a bit of gas out of your tank before it shuts off. This only started happening recently, in the last month, but I'm sick of wasting and smelling of gas while at the pump. Any suggestions? I've tried doing it manually and it also happens a bit.

This is common with the JK. Mine does it, but I haven't had a chance to take it in. I've heard they replace the tank for this issue.
    Northridge4x4

Its common and although I havent taken mine in yet, it does do the overflow on occasion. Several people on the forum have taken it in to get replaced and I even read one actual post of the TSP a while back. But yes, you can take it to the dealership to get fixed.
    2009 2 Door Wrangler Sport
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (6.1 Liters of AWESOME!!)

"American parachutists - devils in baggy pants - are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night: they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere." - German Officer's journal captured during WW2 about the 82nd ABN DIV
    www.northridge4x4.com

Happens to a lot of people, nothing new. I live in jersey, so its still full service....that being said, I avoid saying "fill it up" and say a fixed $ amount that i know won't fill it.... overflow diverted.
    2010 4-door Auto plus extras...many extras....

Quote Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC View Post
    Happens to a lot of people, nothing new. I live in jersey, so its still full service....that being said, I avoid saying "fill it up" and say a fixed $ amount that i know won't fill it.... overflow diverted.
    ^ x2 , annoying, but not annoying enough to drop it off at the dealership for undetermined period of time....

JK Newbie

The first time I filled my used 2008 JK (about a year ago) I got splashed with gas. I took it in and the dealership replaced the tank under a recall. What year JK do you have?
    2008 Wrangler X ...bone stock for now.

It started happening to my 2008 about 3 months ago. It started as a slight spit up and the last time I was washing my windshield and looked back to see fuel spraying 10 feet in the air non stop until I killed it.

I am out of warranty at this point.

I took my JK in to get the transmission cooler lines replaced due to a slight leak, which they covered under a TSB extended warranty due to this common occurence, and I told him about my gas tank issue. The service guy said no problem, we will order and install a new gas tank for free also, that is common. I go back in for service on this in a couple weeks, and he said it should only take a couple hours...unless you have a lot of additional belly armor.

....I was fully expecting a heated debate over the cost of this repair and was pleasantly suprised to have both issues covered no sweat.
    2008 Sahara Unlimited
    Automatic 4-speed 3.8L V-6, 5.13 gears
    Dual top / Remote start

NR4x4 OME LT Kit
    TF Front LCA's & JKS Q.Discos
    MT Sidebiters 17"
    GY Duratracs 315/70/17
    AEV Front Bumper

Expedition One Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
    SC Flashpaq
    AEM CAI
    MBRP Exhaust
    MyGig RER, Uconnect, 160GB HDD
    Cobra LX LE
    Spiderweb shade + Safari Straps

www.northridge4x4.com

Regardless if you have a warranty or not the dealership will replace your tank at no charge.
    2008 SILVER 2 Door
    “Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment.”

Mine doesn't overflow but instead it 'pukes'. I learned to fill on the slow setting with the nozzle jamed as far down the filler throat as possible and it solves the problem.
    2010 JK Rubi - Bone Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep Unlimited
    Mine doesn't overflow but instead it 'pukes'. I learned to fill on the slow setting with the nozzle jamed as far down the filler throat as possible and it solves the problem.
    That works for me too.

Why is the auto setting being removed in the east?

11. Default JK-Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast