Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Heater help!!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiveofun
I guess I should ask everyone. Does this only apply to the auto temp option?
no. all jeeps have them.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I should add that mine just like most others see the temp on the drivers side lower than the passenger side. If you have the exact same temp on both sides and neither are hot, it's possible that your heater core is to blame and not the blend door.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoysRig
no. all jeeps have them.
Interesting. I know the WJ Grand Cherokee's had this issue, but it was only with the ones with auto temp control.

I do hear my blend doors move once in a while if I'm sitting in the Jeep when it's not running.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a one knob for the cool to hot air. This vehicle was trucked from so cal to Seattle then put in a container and barged to Bethel,AK everything was working fine I have a case of WTF's I don't understand
Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fiveofun
Interesting. I know the WJ Grand Cherokee's had this issue, but it was only with the ones with auto temp control.

I do hear my blend doors move once in a while if I'm sitting in the Jeep when it's not running.

I had a 2 door sport that had the issue and it did not have the auto temp control.
No you are hearing the actuator for the re-circulatory door. I have video of that. Just putting the key in can trigger that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzEuuOvbm8
Old 08-26-2015, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepinjim
It's a one knob for the cool to hot air. This vehicle was trucked from so cal to Seattle then put in a container and barged to Bethel,AK everything was working fine I have a case of WTF's I don't understand
So how did you know the heat worked in Southern California? Mine would feel hot too in the middle of summer. But those sub zero temps in the dead of winter really showed how bad it was.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I pulled off the glove box and found the acuater I took out the three screws that were holding it to the bracket, unplugged it and twisted slightly and checked for tightness, put it back together and it works. Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 08-30-2015, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Well, here's a hell of a first post.... I created a login just for you
I'm a Mopar tech at a dealer in GA. Stick a flashlight against the bottom of your coolant overflow bottle. If it looks like it's full of mud or sand maybe an inch deep, you'll need a heater core and a radiator. I've done a dozen of them in the last 2 years. If you're still under 3/36 basic warranty, get it to a dealer sooner rather than later. There are SB on this. Apparently the foundry had a booboo when casting 3.6 for JKs and 2.4 for JS (200 & Avenger). They didn't clean out all the casting sand, and it circulated out stopping up the tight passages of the heat exchangers. And, no, it will not flush out, this crap is tenacious. The other poster who said he had heat on one side but was cooler on the other, that is usually the first and only complaint.

Last edited by grumpytech; 08-30-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepinjim
So I pulled off the glove box and found the acuater I took out the three screws that were holding it to the bracket, unplugged it and twisted slightly and checked for tightness, put it back together and it works. Thanks for all the suggestions

Wow, seems easy enough. And this was the actuator for the blend door? I'm having the same issue with my 2012 JKU. I'm actually able to reach under the dash on the driver side and push the arm for the blend door up to force warm air to blow. I assumed the actuator would also be on the driver side of the dash, that's why I'm asking.

Did you take any pictures?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm wondering if this is the same problem I've been experiencing on my 2009?

When I try to turn my blower dial to the front defrost settings, it often won't lock into those settings. It seems like the door for the front defrosters is stuck. It doesn't matter what the temp setting is, it just won't lock into that position. However, I found if I hold the dial hand in those front defrost positions long enough, sometimes it will lock in.

Quick Reply: Heater help!!