Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Heater help!!

Old 10-03-2015, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by klawson83
Wow, seems easy enough. And this was the actuator for the blend door? I'm having the same issue with my 2012 JKU. I'm actually able to reach under the dash on the driver side and push the arm for the blend door up to force warm air to blow. I assumed the actuator would also be on the driver side of the dash, that's why I'm asking.

Did you take any pictures?

So I pulled mine apart today. Initially I took out the glove box and removed the actuator. My issues is that I don't have heat, everything else works just fine. The actuator on the passenger side controls the switching between vent, floor, defrost, etc. It does not control the blend door for temperature control. After going back to google I found the schematics for HVAC and it turns out there's another actuator on the driver side that controls the blend door for heat / cool. It's difficult to get to but I was able to get it removed and get it working again. Heat is back!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by klawson83
So I pulled mine apart today. Initially I took out the glove box and removed the actuator. My issues is that I don't have heat, everything else works just fine. The actuator on the passenger side controls the switching between vent, floor, defrost, etc. It does not control the blend door for temperature control. After going back to google I found the schematics for HVAC and it turns out there's another actuator on the driver side that controls the blend door for heat / cool. It's difficult to get to but I was able to get it removed and get it working again. Heat is back!
How did you get to it? Did you have to remove the dash?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RoysRig
How did you get to it? Did you have to remove the dash?

No, I didn't remove the dash. I pulled the access panel off below the steering wheel. Removed a small metal plate behind it. Unbolted and moved some sort of electronics box. And then I was able to see the back of it. Two screws to remove it and was able to wiggle it out. Wish I had taken pictures as this description may not be too helpful.

There's no question it's difficult to get at. You will need to be kneeling next to your jeep and / or laying on your back looking up from under the dash. My hands still have scrapes on them from digging under the dash.

The actuator is exactly the same as the one on the passenger side - pull the glove box out and take a look. This will give you an idea of what to look for on the driver side.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Similar problem...Has anyone had their heater warm up and have hot air, but it doesn't blow hard out the vents? My heat trickles out of the vents all of a sudden, it's warm air, but no matter how high I turn the fan it doesn't blow any harder. I have a 2014 Jk sport with only 22000km on it. It's only my second winter with it. Any ideas or anyone else whose had the same problem?
Old 12-06-2015, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepgirljones
Similar problem...Has anyone had their heater warm up and have hot air, but it doesn't blow hard out the vents? My heat trickles out of the vents all of a sudden, it's warm air, but no matter how high I turn the fan it doesn't blow any harder. I have a 2014 Jk sport with only 22000km on it. It's only my second winter with it. Any ideas or anyone else whose had the same problem?
The question I have for you when you raise the fan control from low to high does the heater blower increase as you go up. Do you hear it. If you don't hear the increase you issue might be the blower resistor. If the speed increase than your passenger side actuator may not be going through the cycle or you ducts are disconnected some place.

ed
Old 12-06-2015, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

You don't hear the fan increase at all! As you turn the fan up, it doesn't change fan speed or make any sounds!
Old 12-06-2015, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

You don't hear the fan increase at all! As you turn the fan up, it doesn't change fan speed or make any sounds!
If the blower/fan is not increased try replacing the blower resistor. Check blower relays and fuses.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I had no heat on the drivers side, super hot on the passenger. Checked the coolant reservoir, and had about 1.5 - 2 inches of gunk. It's a 2013 with 72,000 miles. So, I took it to a quick lube place and had them do a complete coolant system flush. The guy said ha had never seen that much junk come out. Now the driver side is almost as hot as the passenger side. Next weekend, or whenever I get rid of this cold I am suffering from I am going to pull the heater hoses, and do just a heater core flush, and see what happens.

I highly recommend this route for those of you out there who are having the reduced or no heat on the drivers side while the passenger side is still super hot. Check the radiator reservoir first, and if it is gunked up in the bottom go ahead and try a system flush, before you spend a boat load of money and let someone else completely disassemble the inside of your Jeep.

Also, as the heater blows different temperatures with changing outside temp (mine still felt hot on the driver side until the weather turned to winter), buy a cheep thermometer and take some measurements to compare from side to side, and before and after.

Hope this helps.

Happy Jeeping!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 12-06-2015, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Eandras
If the blower/fan is not increased try replacing the blower resistor. Check blower relays and fuses.
Thanks! I'm assuming it should be warranty, but when I took it to my local dealer they didn't seem to really know what to do. I definitely need my heat to work though, if not to keep warm, to keep my pack of dogs from fogging up my windows till I can't see anything! Thanks
Old 12-07-2015, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I'm assuming it should be warranty, but when I took it to my local dealer they didn't seem to really know what to do. I definitely need my heat to work though, if not to keep warm, to keep my pack of dogs from fogging up my windows till I can't see anything! Thanks
It should be a warranty repair. Dealer should have acway of testing the heating system.

Quick Reply: Heater help!!