Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help diagnosing clunk

Old 11-04-2016, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing clunk

Ok, clunk may not be the right word. I had something going on in the front end. There was a clunk/felt like a shifting of something under my feet, which I could feel in the floorboard. Had my passenger side front ujoint replaced and that seems to help the feeling in the feet but there is still a noise.

It may have been two separate issues all along but the clunk/thud is still there and seems to be under my drivers seat/center console area. It's driving me nuts but it's pretty intermittent. I can't pin point the conditions which cause it but I seem to hear it most when just cruising in a straight line, even when there are no bumps in the road. For example, I just got home and was driving on a flat, straight road doing 70 Km/ and heard it the whole way home. My mechanic, whose opinion I trust, had a look and test drive and didn't hear it, which is possible as it's not always there. The front drive shaft was checked, was fine. The suspension components were check, they were fine too.

Some additional info. 2010 JKU Rubicon with a 2.5" RK max travel setup and bilstein shocks, wheel spacers and 315 duratracs.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2016, 05:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

A friend of mine had a clunk. It didn't require a rough road for him to hear/feel it. While driving, even on a "smooth" road, the suspension is always going up and down a little.
I found it by being under the JK while he rocked it back and forth.
It was a loose right rear lower shock mount bolt.

The same could be true for any one of the other suspension system bolt.

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-04-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Shock mounts are a common culprit. As Ron mentioned, the other suspension parts such as your track bar up front can also be problematic.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

I had a clunk a few months ago and found my lower control arms needed to be tightened. Through the years the bolts backed out about a half thread or a little more. I was getting ready to replace all my bushings and trans mount and whatever else I could think of. But I torqued those bolts back down and it's been problem free since.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Best option is to get under your Jeep and tighten every suspension component. You could have something loose.

Northridge 4x4 has bolt torque chart on the bottom of their main page. I would post a link but their site is not responding.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by homeless
Ok, clunk may not be the right word. I had something going on in the front end. There was a clunk/felt like a shifting of something under my feet, which I could feel in the floorboard. Had my passenger side front ujoint replaced and that seems to help the feeling in the feet but there is still a noise.

It may have been two separate issues all along but the clunk/thud is still there and seems to be under my drivers seat/center console area. It's driving me nuts but it's pretty intermittent. I can't pin point the conditions which cause it but I seem to hear it most when just cruising in a straight line, even when there are no bumps in the road. For example, I just got home and was driving on a flat, straight road doing 70 Km/ and heard it the whole way home. My mechanic, whose opinion I trust, had a look and test drive and didn't hear it, which is possible as it's not always there. The front drive shaft was checked, was fine. The suspension components were check, they were fine too.

Some additional info. 2010 JKU Rubicon with a 2.5" RK max travel setup and bilstein shocks, wheel spacers and 315 duratracs.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
Does it happen when you're coasting sometimes and then tap the accelerator? Just wondering.

First thing I would check is the spacers. Make sure none of the holes are wallowed out and that the bolts are tight.

I had a clunk as well and it took me a while to track down. I ended up having a loose sway bar bolt.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Checked all suggestions but still dealing with this. Its odd, the jeep tracks down the road fine, there's no shimmy/wobble in the steering wheel, no odd road noise from the tires, no vibrations...but I can still feel this damn knocking in my heels/footwell. It feels as though someone is under the jeep rattling a wrench off of the front end steering/suspension components.

It seems to go away when driving at higher speeds, 110/120 km/h , versus 70-80 km/h when it is most noticeable.

I'll be taking it to my mechanic again but am hoping someone here has an idea or can suggest possible areas for the mechanic (or me...I'm pretty handy) to focus in on.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

You mentioned that it goes away at high speed but does it change in frequency with your speed?

In other words does it "knock" faster as you drive faster and "knock" slower when you drive slower?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MO502
You mentioned that it goes away at high speed but does it change in frequency with your speed?

In other words does it "knock" faster as you drive faster and "knock" slower when you drive slower?
Nope, seems to go away completely. I can't feel any knock in the footwell or hear anything at the higher speeds.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Was it the control arms?
Common on different jeeps as well.

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing clunk