Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me get more heat for rear foot passenger...please?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get more heat for rear foot passenger...please?

Like the title says....I would like to get more heat to the rear passenger floor section. Passenger are saying that it is not so warm back there!

There are no warm air duct to the rear....any easy way to get heat back there.
It has been in the -15F quite a few times lately.
In the front seats, no problem, lots of heat, sometimes it is too much...

PS: I do have a hard top...will put up insulation this summer. Maybe that will help to keep more heat in the cabin.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

My wife's '12 JKUR came with heated front seats so I went to eBay and bought a two-seat set for less than $75 and installed them in the rear for the kids. Now the topless season is extended a little while longer and it's really toasty in the winter. It's a very easy job for an average DIYer...
Old 02-11-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

That would get the seats warm, but the rear passenger would like more heat to the floor, where there feet are.
Oherwise it is not so bad, with the heat from the top dash vent going full blast with the floor settings.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

You're in a tight spot. I've seen it before where someone had used ductwork and routed heat from the two center dash vents down to the passenger's footwell but that's not aesthetically pleasing.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

Wonder if you could get the electric heaters that were common for the cj crowd? I think quadratec still sells em
Old 02-11-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jc Whitney has those heaters too. But floor heat in the rear seat area is definitely not a jeep thing, that's what cars are for!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

I have looked at this as well a little. It doesn't get near as cold in Florida so I haven't worried about it as I have only traveled far enough north a few times.

My thought was to tap into the two center dash vents with a piece of cpvc. Running it below the center console area and out the back of the center console near the cup holders with a nice little louvered cover. You can buy all types of fittings to get the curves right. This way you can still use the center vents if needed as well as shut the vent allowing pressure to build up and force through the cpvc pipes.

It would take some work to make it look good and keep it hidden, but if it's a quick easy fix you could do it beside the console easier.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You can buy one of the little heat exchangers with a fan in it, and plumb some hot water to it from the engine. The rear passengers will be turning the fan to low to keep from being overheated.

I remember a lot of the cars in Northern Maine had these aux heaters, back in the '50s and '60s.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

I guess I will have to find some ways to get some ducting under/near console. Will have to wait for warm whether to look into this....as I have no heating in my garage !
Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gerlo
I guess I will have to find some ways to get some ducting under/near console. Will have to wait for warm whether to look into this....as I have no heating in my garage !
Small electric blanket plugged into a power inverter?

matthew

Quick Reply: Help me get more heat for rear foot passenger...please?