Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Stuck in 4 low!

Old 07-04-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Stuck in 4 low!

Like the title says, my Jeep is stuck in 4 wheel drive. I have a 2009 2 door wrangler X and a couple days ago I took to some trails and ran in 4 low for about a mile of the trail. After that I put it back in 2 high, no problems there, and drove home. The next day I parked on a steep hill facing upwards and put it in 4 high just to prevent rolling backwards, however when I went to put it back into 2 high the Jeep stayed in 4 and I'm not sure why. The shifter feels loose almost like it's not connected to anything.
I'm not sure what caused this problem, but any help would be much appreciated! If I left out any info feel free to ask and I'll tell you what I can.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is s little plastic clip the connects the shifter to the cable that falls off a lot on the older models. Look at the bottom of your shifter and see if the cable is still connected. I've heard of people using tip ties and bobby pins as quick fixes. You can get the actual plastic clip for a couple bucks at the dealer. I think there is a kit out there to upgrade it but don't remember.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Crawl under and check the linkage
Old 07-04-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yellowtj02
There is s little plastic clip the connects the shifter to the cable that falls off a lot on the older models. Look at the bottom of your shifter and see if the cable is still connected. I've heard of people using tip ties and bobby pins as quick fixes. You can get the actual plastic clip for a couple bucks at the dealer. I think there is a kit out there to upgrade it but don't remember.
This sounds like it would be the problem, where is this cable located about? Sorry, I'm a bit of a Jeep noob and am having trouble finding it.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yellowtj02
That actually doesn't appear to be the problem. I located the shifter and the plastic clip was still there and when the shifter was moved there was no change in its position. Any other ideas on what it could be?
Old 07-04-2015, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Try this
http://youtu.be/59N88a5bs6g

Last edited by jrod250; 07-04-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jrod250
Thanks! I imagine that's the same problem I'm having after watching the video. I'm out of town right now so I'll take apart the console when I get home and hopefully that's the issue.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Keep us posted
Old 07-04-2015, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the clip I was talking about. I'm glad someone hooked you up with a video that shows it better than I could explain.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Keep us posted
I hit 50,000 miles a few days ago and needed an oil change, while making the appointment I told the mechanic what I assumed the problem was after all your guys input. He checked it out for me and told me that was the issue and fixed it for me while it was in so the Jeep is fixed! Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: Help! Stuck in 4 low!