Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Homemade Dog restraint

Old 08-28-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Dog restraint

I needed a way to use my dogs existing leash and keep him restrained in the back seat. I went to the fabric store and found a nylon strap, latch and a spring clip from Home Depot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1178..jpg
Views:	820
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	84148

Wrapped nylon around rear headrest posts and attached spring clip.

Name:	DSCF1179..jpg
Views:	418
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	84149

This allows the dog to move left to right in the rear seat and keeps my wife from worrying that he might jump!

Name:	DSCF1180..jpg
Views:	380
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	84150

Ranger ready to Ride !!!!

Name:	DSCF1183..jpg
Views:	393
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	84151
Old 08-28-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool mod man!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went to Petsmart and bought several dog leash couplers. Our dogs each wear a full harness (chest/neck) when in the Jeep. The coupler hooks to their harness and is routed through the seat to one of the tie downs behind the back seat.

We always leave the couplers connected and sitting on the back seat, so we just need to put the dogs in the back seat and hook to their harness.

We just recently lost one of our dogs, so we now have the couplers routed around the side of the seat. This makes sure each of the two dogs are limited to their own area on the back seat.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I asked my dog, and although she is relatively non-verbal, I am very good at reading her body language and interpreting her thoughts. She let me know, in no uncertain terms, that she does not like to be restrained in the car because sometimes there are interesting things to see or smell on the right or the left. Sometimes it is necessary to lick the alpha-dog's face, as he is driving, in appreciation for the nice drive. She needs easy-access and a restraint would be limiting. Additionally, a restraint would limit her ability to properly defend the vehicle while parked. She reminded me that I have grown accustomed to leaving the keys in the ignition, therefore, this ability to defend the Jeep is very important. I contested the accusation that I commonly left the keys in the ignition, however, she was adamant that I do occasionally do this. I gave up arguing with her.

The jumping issue is simple. Lift your Jeep past the point of where your doggy is comfortable jumping. This should have been an easy solution to present to your wife. You may have missed an opportunity.

Last edited by Drsalee; 08-29-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Just noticed the parking sign. Reserved for Fuel Efficient Vehicle Parking only.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan
LOL Just noticed the parking sign. Reserved for Fuel Efficient Vehicle Parking only.
I always want to park in those spots, lol
Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 PM
JK Freak

Good idea, BUT do yourself a favor and pull your lead to its absolute max and see where it lands outside of the vehicle. Specifically around the tire.

I have two dogs, and I have since we had them had them "kept them from jumping" with a chain for each one attached to the floor of the jeep. Everything worked great, until one jumped out the window. Fortunately we were stopped - the older one just got so excited about seeing his human grandparents he couldn't take it - but he landed outside of the vehicle, where had we been moving he would have hit the wheel. He probably would have been fine, but 6 more inches and he could have died if we were moving. I shortened up the leads about 6 more inches, and they weren't happy as they are now tight where the like to stand, but they are safer.

Just thought I should tell you that since you obviously care about your dog. The lead needs to be short enough that it stops your dog short of danger if he jumps out of the vehicle.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is cool! You should sell those for wild a$$ kids that are all over in vehicles LOL

Quick Reply: Homemade Dog restraint