Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hood switch alarm

Old 04-23-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood switch alarm

So I just learned today that my 2007 Wrangler was supposed to be equipped with a hood switch so that if someone opened up the hood after it had been locked the stock alarm would go off.

The newer models have it equipped from factory so I did some snooping and it turned out that I was supposed to have one too, but they ran out while my Jeep was being built; and apparently there was a whole bunch of em that didn't get it.

Anyone else ever aquire about this??? I had the dealership order me a hood switch and it's supposed to just plug in and work. There is a connector in the drivers front side of the engine compartment that the hood switch is supposed to connect to.

I'll keep you updated if this works!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

can you take a picture of what/where the conector is? i'm going to go poke around under my hood to see if there is anything just hanging there, but it'd help if i had a slight idea of what it looks like.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Interesting, I open my hood when the doors are locked and there's no alarm going off . Nor have I heard they have alarm switches on them .
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I checked the service manual and there is a Hood Ajar Switch Sense line from the "computer" the line is identified in the manual as G70 18 VT/LB. The switch indicates "Switch-Hood Ajar (RHD Export)".

I'm assuming that means Right Hand Drive Export vehicles get it and not necessarily North American vehicles, but I would like to stand corrected. My alarm doesn't go off if I pop the hood.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was under the assumption that this switch was only installed if your JK had the Mopar remote start system. My last JK ('08) didn't have remote start and didn't have the switch. My new JK has remote start and has the switch installed.

FWIW, my wife's '08 Dodge Ram has the exact same switch and also has remote start.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

I just installed the Mopar alarm, EVS II .. I thought the hood switch was for if the hood opened or if the Jeep was jacked up and off level, but it turned out to be an impact switch. It is mounted under the hood on the driver side.
Does anyone have a "hood ajar" switch? I haven't seen anything regarding this. With the exception of the RHD export mention.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Further to my idea that it is only for export. This is in the service manual.

Hood Ajar Switch (1) - A hood ajar switch is located in a bracket on the inboard side of the left front fender load path beam within the engine compartment of vehicles built for sale in certain export markets where it is required equipment.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, its a requirement it lots of areas around the world so they cant jack with your freakin engine...

or more importantly...

Put a damn bomb in the thing.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

Just an update on this...the dealer finally got in the bracket and hood switch, but apparently they need a software upgrade too. At the moment I have the hood sitch connected, but the computer isn't reading it.

I also inquired more for a few people's sake, and the connector is most likely only on later '07 and '08 models.

Quick Reply: Hood switch alarm