Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Horn honk delay?

Old 04-14-2014, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn honk delay?

Does everyone have a split second delay between when you hit the horn and when it actually makes sound? And then when it for honk, it is a longer blast than you intend? Didn't bother me at first but it's gotten pretty frustrating.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

I agree. My 2013 JK does the same. I was saying oh no big deal, now it is a bit annoying.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

You can thank the JK's CANBUS computer. When you push the horn, it tells the Computer that you want the horn to blow. Then it triggers the relay for the horn to blow. If it has a relay. Most of the systems delay. Have you noticed the headlight do it also coming on, and switching from low to high. Too much electronics in these new vehicles.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Now that you mention it, I have realized it with the headlights, also.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it sucks and I usually end up banging on the horn.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! Freakin bugs the hell out of me. Sometime you want just a quick little blip and it can be tough to get the timing right.

Gotta practice I guess
Old 04-15-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by metaldemon
You can thank the JK's CANBUS computer. When you push the horn, it tells the Computer that you want the horn to blow. Then it triggers the relay for the horn to blow.

If it has a relay.

Most of the systems delay. Have you noticed the headlight do it also coming on, and switching from low to high. Too much electronics in these new vehicles.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Im going to install a aftermarket horn and buy a switch to put right by the steering wheel. Stupid jeep.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by metaldemon
You can thank the JK's CANBUS computer. When you push the horn, it tells the Computer that you want the horn to blow. Then it triggers the relay for the horn to blow. If it has a relay. Most of the systems delay. Have you noticed the headlight do it also coming on, and switching from low to high. Too much electronics in these new vehicles.
Yup^^^ sigh
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

My 2008 JK does the same thing. Thought the horn was malfunctioning or something until I came on these forums. Though the other day it did seem to honk right when I hit it, but it was the morning and the coffee hadn't kicked in yet so it was probably my brain delay making it seem right, lol.

Quick Reply: Horn honk delay?