Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how many miles on your jk

Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many miles on your jk

Thinking of buying another jk. This time used."ex took my last one" so I'm thinking about getting a used one and was wanting to know what to look out for when buying a used jeep with 50-100k miles on it. 2008 jk or newer auto or manual.
Thanks
Old 11-18-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch out for the 08 and some 09 they had production problems with some of the engines and are known for being oil burners.
I have a 10 with 52k absolutely love it. just had the oil analyzed and found out the engine is wearing perfectly. It was a big relief knowing how some of the 3.8 motors can have some major problems

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-18-2014, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an '09 JKUR with 115K on the clock.

I did have the oil pan re-sealed recently because it was beginning to weep. I haven't have any problems with oil burning at all.

When you go to drive one, once it is up to temp, stick your finger in the tailpipe and see how black it is. Some carbon is expected on an older JK but it shouldn't be coating you finger. A bit or water is okay as well, especially if it is cold outside. H20 is the by-product when excess oxygen is available for combustion.

Also another good way to buy a high mileage vehicle is take it to your mechanic and pay him/her 1/2hr of work to look it over. Good mechanic and a rack to get the Jeep off the ground can allow you to spot a lot of things in about 2 sec if they exist.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

i got an 08 with no issue burning oil or anything. 63k on it.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info
Old 11-18-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2009 with 120,000 on the clock. Zero issues and she doesn't get babied.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
2009 with 120,000 on the clock. Zero issues and she doesn't get babied.
Nice:beer
Old 11-18-2014, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

'08 with about 87k on it. Mine has used anywhere from 1/4 of a quart to nearly 1 quart every 1k miles. Otherwise, it runs perfectly. My brother had a 3.8 in his Chrysler mini van and it ran well past 200k and used oil all the way, to the tune of 1 quart every 1k. I'm not overly worried about it if I get that kind of mileage out of it. If it reaches 1 quart per 1k, then my dealer will fix or replace the engine, under the lifetime warranty. I've replaced the pcv twice and each time it knocks it down to about 1/4 of a quart per 1k. It is strange because the old pcv's both appeared to still function just fine.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

My 08 doesn't have any oil issues, or any other problems. ~40K on the clock, fairly low miles, purchased used.

Looking at other car forums, oil burning is a common complaint. All engines use at least a little between oil changes, and it's hard to tell from complaints in forums what the failure percentage is. edit/side note: suspect that manufactures switching to a 20 wt oil recommendation recently has made the issue worse/more common.

My 2 cents... If you don't work on cars yourself, suggest bringing along a knowledgeable friend or relative, or hire a mechanic to inspect it. I bring a flashlight and some cardboard for sliding underneath to look for leaks, check out the suspension, axles, drive shafts, etc. Take a real close look at any modifications -- For example, if its been lifted: Are the breather tubes extended and still connected? Are the brake lines rubbing on shocks or swaybar? Under the hood, check the engine and tranny dip stick(s) (if the trans is an automatic), power steering oil level, brake fluid level, and look at the engine coolant in the recovery tank (for the radiator). For the last three you may have to wipe the reservoirs off with a rag to see the level, but also take the top off the coolant recovery tank and see how dirty the coolant is.

Happy Jeep hunting

Last edited by Mr.T; 11-18-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
My 08 doesn't have any oil issues, or any other problems. ~40K on the clock, fairly low miles, purchased used.

Looking at other car forums, oil burning is a common complaint. All engines use at least a little between oil changes, and it's hard to tell from complaints in forums what the failure percentage is.

My 2 cents... If you don't work on cars yourself, suggest bringing along a knowledgeable friend or relative, or hire a mechanic to inspect it. I bring a flashlight and some cardboard for sliding underneath to look for leaks, check out the suspension, axles, drive shafts, etc. Take a real close look at any modifications -- For example, if its been lifted: Are the breather tubes extended and still connected? Are the brake lines rubbing on shocks or swaybar? Under the hood, check the engine and tranny dip stick(s) (if the trans is an automatic), power steering oil level, brake fluid level, and look at the engine coolant in the recovery tank (for the radiator). For the last three you may have to wipe the reservoirs off with a rag to see the level, but also take the top off the coolant recovery tank and see how dirty the coolant is.

Happy Jeep hunting
Thanks buddy

Quick Reply: how many miles on your jk