Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant

Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant

Jeep is at 66K miles. It's an '08 automatic. It's not the battery. Shop guy assured me it wasn't the starter or any wire connection. I know there was a recall with the ignition reading the key or something like that, but I had that taken care of a while back...

The mechanic said it more than likely is something that has to do with... transmission and recognizing the gear it's in? I think a sensor issue? Something like that...

The symptom is when I turn the key my JK "clicks" but no engine start. Sometimes it takes a couple "clicks" and then it starts up just fine. A few times it's taken 10+ "click" starts before finally coming to life.

The mechanic said that next time this happens I should shift my JK into neutral and see if it starts up, then, without the hassle of trying so many key turns ("clicks").

What's your take on the situation I have here, and cost of repair? Granted, the mechanic said that this problem may very well be covered under the powertrain warranty; regardless, it's roughly a 2 day repair.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are MANY threads on this exact subject. It's a common issue with MANY suggestions. My resolution was to re do (loosen and tighten) all the grounds you'll find on the engine compartment fender walls. Also the obvious, battery, starter connections. You'll hear some members talking neutral safety switch. Our Jeeps don't have one. There is a set of contacts in the tranny in an auto trans. Not sure on standard. While on the grounds subject, I also ran #8 ga stranded wire from the battery negative clamp to a fender ground stud then to the alternator bracket. Good luck tracking down this gremlin. Let us know what fixed it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Davis:
Montego (09-10-2023), Skytow (10-08-2023)
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just had my fuel pump replaced because I was having similar issues. It would only happen to me if I had traveled a long distance and let the jeep sit for a couple hours. It would not turn over unless I left the key in the on position for 15-20 seconds. Now I know that it wasn't getting enough fuel because the pump was loosing pressure. I have an 09 with 55k. Fixed under warranty!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

try pushing slightly forward on the transmission shifter then start
Old 11-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by red rcok
try pushing slightly forward on the transmission shifter then start
X2 this works for me every time. I have an 08 auto also. Worst time it happened I had to shift it into neutral and start it there. Only had to do that a few times. I would love to know the exact cause for this and what the fix is.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has to be a linkage issue or neutral safety switch problem if it starts after moving shifter on automatic
Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know you said "it isn't the battery" but I would just check to see. When I had my Tundra the power would come on but when I went to start it, it would just click. There were a few times I got it to "click" and then start. So I decided to try and see if it was the battery..... And after I changed the battery it cranked right up and had no problems ever again.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me a couple months ago. If you have the other key fob, try that. That was my problem. If that wont work, follw the advice of checking grounds and adding another
Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Thank you all. I have read the threads about this "click" start. Promise, I did. There are quite a few of them and it is unfortunate there isn't just one fix for this issue. As for trying the other (spare) key fob, that''s what I've been doing so far and ironically no problems, yet. Interesting...

At 66K, whether this be part of the problem or not, could the spark plugs and their wiring be going?

dougehr1 -- the neutral safety switch problem rings a bell. I think that's what the mechanic believed it to be. What exactly is that? And would something like that be covered under the powertrain warranty?

Thanks, everyone!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Similar intermittent problem on my '08 auto as well. Bumping the trans shifter further forward while in P has gotten mine to start most times, there have been a few where I've had to knock it down into N to start. Don't think it has anything to do with the plugs/wires...definitely a neutral safety problem where the Jeep doesn't think it's in N or P and won't let you start the motor.

The fact it's not happening with your spare key though could be an ignition interlock problem...

Quick Reply: JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant