Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JK Track Bar vs. Steering Stabilizer and more

Old 11-29-2016, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Planman made some good videos. Especially for the newbies. Many times the dealership likes to make it should more complicated than it is. Many systems that make up a vehicle are simple. Just a little examining and knowledge then most guys can do their own wrenching.
I tell people all the time to crawl under the Jeep and have someone rock the steering wheel to find loose/worn parts. Whatever moves before the tires move. Cheaper than guessing and throwing parts at your vehicle.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Very good points.

I cringe whenever I hear a stock Jeep owner tell me the dealer replaced his steering stabilizer under warranty to fix his wobble issue.
That makes me crazy as well.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Very good points. I cringe whenever I hear a stock Jeep owner tell me the dealer replaced his steering stabilizer under warranty to fix his wobble issue.
Dual stabilizer FTW.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Default Steering Problems

I would not waist money on the steering stabilizer. I would upgrade things such as tie rod, drag link, and track bar. Your steering stabilizer just hides the real problem you don't need a steering stabilizer everyone thinks its a fix all solution I have a 2008 JKU on 37x13.50.17 on bead lock rims and do not have a steering stabilizer on my Jeep and you can steer it with one finger on the freeway. So before you waist money on some stabilizer I would recommend throwing some money toward tie rod, drag link and track bar. That's just my opinion hope it helps.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to all!

I just had alignment at the dealership - and I also had state inspection at my local garage (which does the ball joint and other testing each time). Of course, one has to wonder how carefully these workers checked for looseness or damage or wear. I think taking it to a local (one hour away) jeep shop which does suspension work might be worthwhile - I'll ask them about it.

With Winter and a storm upon us, I won't be able to crawl around under the Jeep. The handling isn't intolerable now, but getting it fixed is high on my list.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At that age and with those miles you almost certainly have a few things wore out. My 08 has been suffering from occasional death wobble the last few years. I recently decided to do something about it. I watched the videos and used them to determine I had bad ball joints and drag link ends.

I replaced the ball joints with Synergy ball joints the drag link ends with Moog parts.

Much better and no instances of death wobble since replacing those parts.

Quick Reply: JK Track Bar vs. Steering Stabilizer and more