Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

manual transmission shifts without clutch

Old 09-18-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by glivigni
Ok so I dropped her off to the stealership this morning and left it there while I was out of town.. When I returned 7 hrs later I was told its all better as they just ran a couple flashes they found on my jeep. upon further reading the paperwork it states that they could not repeat this problem and so they didn't find anything wrong w the shifting . I pulled out got to third gear and lightly pulled down and no grinding at all it went as smooth as ever into 4th. I called the jerks back telling them I'll be back next week to take the same service man for a test drive and show him how he lied. The sad thing is I only have 4500 miles on my 2013 and this shouldn't be happening.
I still don't understand what the complaint is. Is your issue causing any problems? Sounds like you have smooth shifting. If RPMs are lined up correctly, there won't be grinding.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt anything is wrong. You can do that on almost any trans with sycros or not. When you lift the throttle removing the load its easy to shift and if you don't move it to slow it will rev match with the next gear. Try downshifting 4-3 just increase the revs a little in N and it will fall in 3rd.

I learned how to shift one of these as a kid
B61 Mack Tri Plex 5x3
http://youtu.be/G-aDqAWkZHQ
Old 09-18-2014, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see a problem. You can shift gears without the clutch. If your revs are just right, it is smooth. Done this with many cars and my '13 JKUR. It should not pop out of gear, but it can easily slide out and into another gear.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I suppose I'll just let it be for now just as long as it doesn't pop out into neutral on its own. We shall see how she does on bumpy terrain.
Thanks to all for responding.
Tops off to ya
Old 09-18-2014, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shifting without the clutch on a car is very hard on the syncros. Yes you can do it smoothly and all seems ok, but when you are having to have your Trans torn apart to replace the syncros prematurely this will be the cause. I drive trucks for a living and do this daily in my semi. The big difference is the design of the transmission. Semis do not have syncros. This can also be done on dog bone style transmissions.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glivigni
I suppose I'll just let it be for now just as long as it doesn't pop out into neutral on its own. We shall see how she does on bumpy terrain.
Thanks to all for responding.
Tops off to ya
Like they said it's perfectly normal. If you shift gently the synchros will take up the slack.

I tend to avoid resting my hand on the shifter when offroad because I have accidentally pulled out of gear. I was more embarassed than anything, no damage done.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demp
Like they said it's perfectly normal. If you shift gently the synchros will take up the slack.

I tend to avoid resting my hand on the shifter when offroad because I have accidentally pulled out of gear. I was more embarassed than anything, no damage done.
Yes that's my problem also and how i found out it did that. I tend to rest my hand on the shifter. Time to put an end to that!!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two hands on the wheel please at 8 & 4. Haha
Old 09-20-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bevan7170
Two hands on the wheel please at 8 & 4. Haha
no. It's 2 and 10. Lol.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Freak