Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

manual transmission shifts without clutch

Old 09-16-2014, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default manual transmission shifts without clutch

Okay so I just noticed that my 2013 jk sport shifts out of third gear without engaging the clutch. I also can go from third to fourth without clutching and it is smooth as can be. Jeep is going into the shop in two days. Wondering if anybody else has had this happen?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is not a bad thing, look up clitchless shifting. Usually for me I can do it at a certain rpm range. But almost every manual transmission can do this!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DannyMalkin
That is not a bad thing, look up clitchless shifting. Usually for me I can do it at a certain rpm range. But almost every manual transmission can do this!
I can do this at any rpm at any speed Very effortless . Just seems Un safe as this could slip into neutral while riding on bumpy terrain.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by glivigni
I can do this at any rpm at any speed Very effortless . Just seems Un safe as this could slip into neutral while riding on bumpy terrain.
I can shift my motorcycle without clutching, but I've yet to be able to do it in my JK. Not sure I really want to try either. Suzuki's are known for clutchless shifting. 4-wheelers, not so much.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:28 AM
JK Newbie

yeah you can do it in any manual. Not a good idea in a synchro trans though - unless you're super human you won't get the revs PERFECT and the synchros will do the rest. Whilst you have a load on this is bad for them and will wear them out at a very fast. No one is superhuman so no one gets it right, it may feel good but thats just the synchros doing their job.

It's fine in a big truck trans with no synchros, in fact it's the best (quickest, smoothest, no clutch wear, less tiring) way of changing a non synchro trans. You have to rev match anyway, so why use the clutch. Bike too (I'm told, know nothing about them really), they must not have syncros?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:31 AM
JK Freak

Better and easier on my gsxr1000. would not suggest it on any vehicle.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

Motorcycle and car transmissions are not the same. Motorcycles use a sequential gear box which is designed to work clutch less. Cars use a standard or standard H transmission not designed to work clutch less. I'd have the dealer take a look if it's under warranty.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I thin I recall a NASCAR race in the 90's where a driver won, even though he lost his clutch part way through the race. Maybe Terry Labonte?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

In my opinion any vehicle can be shifted with out a clutch just not in first, it's all about the timing, over rev the gear you are in then drop out of the gear on the down rev to catch the next gear . Downshifting is a little more trickier but with a little practice can be done .truck drivers do it all the time it saves the clutch . And this would only be for on road use.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok so I dropped her off to the stealership this morning and left it there while I was out of town..
When I returned 7 hrs later I was told its all better as they just ran a couple flashes they found on my jeep.
upon further reading the paperwork it states that they could not repeat this problem and so they didn't find anything wrong w the shifting .
I pulled out got to third gear and lightly pulled down and no grinding at all it went as smooth as ever into 4th.
I called the jerks back telling them I'll be back next week to take the same service man for a test drive and show him how he lied.
The sad thing is I only have 4500 miles on my 2013 and this shouldn't be happening.

Quick Reply: manual transmission shifts without clutch