Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OAT coolant in JK?

Old 12-03-2016, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting mine is a 2013 and i always had the red/orange coolant. I had one person tell me to take it back in and have them put the purple stuff back in but i think mine just came with the reddish orange coolant.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Jeep Family
DO NOT mix coolant. They are not compatible with each other. Not even to top it off. It is not good to use OAT coolant. What can happen is cavitation in the cylinder wall of you engine. This will cause cylinders to run too hot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation
Yes!!!! Do not mix...!!!!
Old 12-03-2016, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

My 13 JKUR has a build date of 9/12 with an owners manual telling me to use OAT but the original fill still in it at 36k is HOAT.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:09 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ1
It's been brought up a multiple of times as there are guys with 2013's that actually have HOAT in their rigs...
Originally Posted by MooooabJK
Very interesting mine is a 2013 and i always had the red/orange coolant. I had one person tell me to take it back in and have them put the purple stuff back in but i think mine just came with the reddish orange coolant.
Originally Posted by davescott
My 13 JKUR has a build date of 9/12 with an owners manual telling me to use OAT but the original fill still in it at 36k is HOAT.

....here you go. DJ1 don't lie

Old 12-04-2016, 02:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
....here you go. DJ1 don't lie

I did not mean to say or imply that you do. Seriously. But, I also don't make it a habit. So, how do those fellows know that their coolants are HOAT? By color? I already wrote that color isn't a reliable gauge. Here's Chrysler's STAR Case bulletin on that very subject ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrysler STAR Case Coolant Color Bulleting.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	662132
Old 12-04-2016, 11:02 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I did not mean to say or imply that you do. Seriously. But, I also don't make it a habit. So, how do those fellows know that their coolants are HOAT? By color? I already wrote that color isn't a reliable gauge. Here's Chrysler's STAR Case bulletin on that very subject ...

Attachment 662132

Just a friendly ribbing is all...

How does anyone "truly" know unless they've bought the coolant of choice on their own, completed the flush on their own, and poured in the new coolant on their own? Then on top of that, topped all fluids at the necessary times on their own?

That is the only way to be 100% sure....

Old 12-09-2016, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MooooabJK
Hey guys ive had questions about this for a while. My 2013 was leaking coolant and running very hot. It ended up just being a cracked radiator i had it at the dealership getting fixed. Ever since i got my jeep its had redish orange coolant. Since they gave me a new radiator it still runs a little hot. I had a friend tell me that my coolant should be purple can anyone tell me which one it should be? I am not all too familiar with engines and different coolant. Thanks guys!
The fact that we owners have to go to such lengths to un-cluster chuck the piss-poor mfg decisions is asstounding. Color is a bad indicator of coolant type.

This dude was smart and added a sticker for any ignorant tech explicitly telling them to use the 5 yr (HOAT) coolant only.
ttp://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/is-this-hoat-or-oat-1050513.html#post16147785

Quick Reply: OAT coolant in JK?