Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OAT coolant in JK?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:46 PM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OAT coolant in JK?

I know that our JK needs HOAT coolant, I know that I should get the right stuff for my pal.
here is the situation, I have some gallons of OAT Porsche pink coolant in garage which has been left after the porsche has been sold, so, I has been asking around to see if it's ok to use them in JK...

If you wanna say keep using the right stuff, plz bear with me, lol.
Lots of people use multiple brands of coolant sold in local auto shops, so I has been thinking that the OAT coolant may still work. May be not.

appreciate any opinion.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OAT uses a different anti-corrosion package than HOAT.

OAT doesn't use the silicates to protect the aluminum surfaces.

You can probably top-off your jeep with a little OAT (if you had to) and not have any problems.

There are reports of mixing causing gelling and/or precipitation.

In my book, why risk it.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Cheap Skate

How much does a gallon of the correct anti-freeze cost? Why are you even debating this for your "pal" ? Don't step over dollars to pick up pennies, specifications for coolants are there for a reason.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

DO NOT mix coolant. They are not compatible with each other. Not even to top it off. It is not good to use OAT coolant. What can happen is cavitation in the cylinder wall of you engine. This will cause cylinders to run too hot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation
Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
-

guess i will give up, not worth the risk.

thanks for replies
Old 10-22-2013, 02:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default the dealership in nh walker up in northhavehil

was going to add regular fluid to mine till I stopped them and told them it had to be hoat in my 12 they never heard of it lol can you believe it ? if Chrysler dosent inform their own techs on what to put in how many people are having work done and having wrong stuff in there mixed I have to assume the next jeep dealer added correct stuff I cant watch over the techs in the back when you cant go back there to see ! it was down a quart and I thought it might be leak but they topped it off and I cant say for sure but I hope they used hoat it was pink to match anyway , sometimes we have to just live life and hope were not getting screwed the tech said its realy a gimic of enviromentel issues is realy what hoat is , I cant back that in any way or not , but walker jeep didn't even have hoat antifreeze to top it off ! Chrysler realy informs the shops huh? yeh its northern new England , but that dosent mean they should have a excuse to not do things correctly !

Last edited by jeepmojo; 10-22-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

Found this on the web. This explains it best.

The main ingredient in the vast majority of automotive antifreeze on the market today is ethylene glycol. Virgin ethylene glycol is produced from ethylene which is produced in the petrochemical industry by steam cracking. Steam cracking is a process that reduces complex hydrocarbons into simpler hydrocarbons, and is used to produce the many products that come from crude oil and other complex hydrocarbons. (Jet fuel, gasoline, diesel fuel, motor oil, ethylene and propylene glycol, etc.)

The main uses for ethylene glycol are listed below.

Coolant

The major use of ethylene glycol is as an automotive antifreeze. Due to its low freezing point, it is also used as a deicing fluid for windshields and aircraft. Ethylene glycol is also commonly used in chilled water air conditioning systems that place either the chiller or air handlers outside, or systems that must cool below the freezing temperature of water.

Manufacturing

Ethylene glycol has become increasingly important in the plastics industry for the manufacture of polyester fibers and resins, including polyethylene terephthalate, which is used to make plastic bottles for soft drinks. The rapidly expanding economies of China and India have led a worldwide increase in demand for ethylene glycol, and have helped to fuel recent price increases.
The antifreeze capabilities of ethylene glycol allow it to be used for airplane deicing and have made it an important component of vitrification mixtures for low-temperature preservation of biological tissues and organs.
Obviously, the purity requirements for soft drink bottles, deicing and preservation of biological tissues is much greater that it needs to be for automotive antifreeze or chiller fluid, and virgin EG is required for those applications.

Antifreeze Types

Automotive antifreeze/coolant is made of ethylene glycol, water, and a chemical additive package. For many years, there was only one type of antifreeze on the market, conventional green. Antifreeze technology, however, has become significantly more complex in the last several years with the introduction of Dexcool and other extended life antifreeze formulas. There are three main types of antifreeze on the market. They all contain an ethylene glycol base, water, dye and an additive package. Colored dye is added for leak detection and is not a reliable way of identifying coolant type. The additive package is what makes them different.

Conventional green antifreeze formulations usually contain a number of inorganic corrosion inhibitors that provide immediate corrosion protection because they maintain the pH of the solution (buffer it), but are consumed or transformed chemically as they perform their functions. As the coolant is heated and cooled, and exposed to air, the components of the conventional antifreeze additive package are depleted over time. This causes the pH to drop, and is why the coolant should be changed out every two years or 24,000 miles.
Dexcool-type extended life coolants use organic acid technology to inhibit corrosion, and are referred to as OAT based coolants. OAT antifreezes are touted as having longer potential service life than conventional antifreezes because of the fact that the components in the additive package are not chemically consumed as they perform their function of inhibiting corrosion. The chemicals used in the OAT type formulas protect metals from corrosion by forming a thin, molecular coating on them, and because of this, are not as fast acting as conventional inorganic formulas. However, as long as the cooling system is kept sufficiently full and coolant is not lost due to leakage nor diluted by top-off with water or conventional antifreeze, it will continue to function properly. Unfortunately, if the cooling system is not properly maintained, a “red muck” is likely to form and could cause serious cooling system problems.
The third type of antifreeze on the market today is the hybrid OAT, known as HOAT (or G O-5). One of the primary problems with OAT formulations is that they are not compatible with conventional antifreezes. The chemicals used in OAT antifreeze react to some extent with some of the inorganic salts and other components in conventional antifreeze. The result of this interaction is the generation of cloudiness and precipitates. HOAT formulations are called hybrid because the additive package contains ingredients from both OAT and conventional formulas and is compatible with both.
Hybrid OAT antifreezes provide both fast acting and extended life corrosion protection, eliminate the problem of anti- freeze compatibility, and therefore are compatible with all types and colors of antifreeze.
Unfortunately, many automotive professionals consider all extended life antifreeze to be “Dexcool” and associate all the problems related to “Dexcool” with both OAT and HOAT formulas. The result of this misconception is often replacing the extended life coolant with conventional green. Industry experts say that this can be done safely if all of the green antifreeze is removed from the system. However, auto manufacturers recommend specific formulations and replacing the factory fill coolant with a different type that doesn’t meet the manufacturer’s specifications could cause liability issues down the road. A much safer solution is to replace OAT systems with HOAT coolant which meets OAT specifications.

In the Cooling System
Regardless of the type of antifreeze used, the additive package will eventually break down and cease to provide adequate corrosion protection. The antifreeze will also pick up contaminants from the engine cooling system. In other words, antifreeze wears out and gets dirty. The service life for conventional green antifreeze is 2 years or 24,000 miles, and for OAT and HOAT is 5 years or 150,000 miles, and the manufacturers recommend fluid replacement at these intervals. However, although the antifreeze loses its corrosion protection and picks up contaminants, the ethylene glycol base does not break down and remains intact. In other words, the ethylene glycol retains its ability to lower the freeze point and raise the boiling point of the solution. This simple fact is the basis for the antifreeze recycling industry.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Just to clarify and update: '07-12 JKs use HOAT. Chrysler recommends 100K service interval. '13-14 JKs use OAT. 150K service (I've been told). DO NOT MIX HOAT AND OAT. Best bet is buy the Mopar stuff. Stay away from non-Mopar, especially the "universal" stuff.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

I have to thank you for info. I needed to top off my over flow tank and wasn't quite sure which store brand was compatible. After reading that lengthy post I decided to spend a few dollars more and grab a gallon of the Mopar Hoat stuff from the dealership. Considered it cheap insurance, didn't want issues with my engines coolant heading into winter just because I wanted to save $6 at the local auto parts store. As the years pass it's becoming more and more complicated to maintain these newer vehicles, I've had a gallon of conventional antifreeze laying around for years now since nothing I've owned recently uses it.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nypd13
I have to thank you for info. I needed to top off my over flow tank and wasn't quite sure which store brand was compatible. After reading that lengthy post I decided to spend a few dollars more and grab a gallon of the Mopar Hoat stuff from the dealership. Considered it cheap insurance, didn't want issues with my engines coolant heading into winter just because I wanted to save $6 at the local auto parts store. As the years pass it's becoming more and more complicated to maintain these newer vehicles, I've had a gallon of conventional antifreeze laying around for years now since nothing I've owned recently uses it.
Wise move. Mark's post above is spot on.

There is an equivalent to the Mopar HOAT.
The Zerex G-05 HOAT.
Hard to find in some areas.

Quick Reply: OAT coolant in JK?