Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil sucking 3.8

Old 09-25-2016, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
I respectfully disagree. Thats what the automakers say as a cop out. Only engines I ever had burn oil were the old late 60's V-8's with over 100k miles with me hot rodding the hell out of them. IMO Any modern engine using oil below 100k miles.....had an assembly/material quality problem from the get go, or was damaged through abuse or plain bad luck. Rings,valve guides, cylinders out of round....something. But is not ok, and not the norm.
Spec is 1quart per 1500miles on an under 10k motor (break in period), 1quart per 3k after that. Source...dealer certified engine master.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drexelsteve
Spec is 1quart per 1500miles on an under 10k motor (break in period), 1quart per 3k after that. Source...dealer certified engine master.
Never heard that before. I'm way past that. My local dealer told me 1 quart in 1k was the threshold. Seems like a lot to me.

Quick Reply: Oil sucking 3.8