Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Plush shocks for on-road only

Old 04-30-2016, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plush shocks for on-road only

Sadly, there will be no offroading in my future due to some spinal injuries that continue to haunt me. I'm now looking to have the most plush, Grandma-esque ride possible. I want my Jeep to feel like I'm on a waterbed inside of a Lincoln Town Car that's driving on a road made of kittens, stacked 10 deep.

2013 2-door, no lift. I want to retain the stock ride height, with bolt-on shocks.

What do you recommend?
Old 04-30-2016, 10:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Read a few reviews on the Rancho 9000xl.

I've never run them, but they get fairly good feedback with the 9 position adjustability. There should be a giftcard rebate going on, and they also have a 90-day return thing, so if you don't like them send em back for a refund.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-30-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find out what springs came on your Jeep and you may be able to go with a softer oem spring which will be cheap and easy and effective. Assuming you have the black Jeep shocks now? Running a few pounds less PSI in the tires may also help but try not to overdo that idea. Those Rancho adjustable shocks sound like a great idea as long as the softest setting is softer than stock. Adjustable suspension is the ultimate, it really helped on my Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Atvs, and Mountain Bikes. I had a similar situation 6 years ago when I bought a 350Z convertible as a gift to myself for surviving Brain surgery. I was in a lot of pain and that car gives a lot of feedback into the steering wheel and cabin. The first change was taking off the 18 inch wheels with low profile tires and buying 17 inch wheels with taller all seasons. The smoother ride allowed me to drive the car longer and enjoy it more. I hurt a lot for about 6 months but that car made me smile everytime we took it for a ride.

Last edited by Chitownpete; 04-30-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chitownpete
Find out what springs came on your Jeep and you may be able to go with a softer oem spring which will be cheap and easy and effective. Assuming you have the black Jeep shocks now? Running a few pounds less PSI in the tires may also help but try not to overdo that idea. Those Rancho adjustable shocks sound like a great idea as long as the softest setting is softer than stock. Adjustable suspension is the ultimate, it really helped on my Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Atvs, and Mountain Bikes. I had a similar situation 6 years ago when I bought a 350Z convertible as a gift to myself for surviving Brain surgery. I was in a lot of pain and that car gives a lot of feedback into the steering wheel and cabin. The first change was taking off the 18 inch wheels with low profile tires and buying 17 inch wheels with taller all seasons. The smoother ride allowed me to drive the car longer and enjoy it more. I hurt a lot for about 6 months but that car made me smile everytime we took it for a ride.
I have the stock black shocks that came with my Sport model. I'll try to find out what the spring rate is and also contact Rancho to find out if they have info regarding the softest settings compared to the stockers. Thanks for the recommendations guys.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can get your build sheet from jeep that will list all the details.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=<your vin>
Old 05-01-2016, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you want to get a really soft shock you can have them custom built to your specs from one of the big shock manufacturers. Bilstein, king, fox should all be able to do this for you but the price is going to be high. Finding an off the shelf shock that is going to give you what you are looking for is unlikely. Finding out things like you coil rate and the weight of you jeep will help in finding a shock that is tuned for your ride.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deathwagon
Sadly, there will be no offroading in my future due to some spinal injuries that continue to haunt me. I'm now looking to have the most plush, Grandma-esque ride possible. I want my Jeep to feel like I'm on a waterbed inside of a Lincoln Town Car that's driving on a road made of kittens, stacked 10 deep. 2013 2-door, no lift. I want to retain the stock ride height, with bolt-on shocks. What do you recommend?
unless you get IFS what you are looking for is not happening. Best option out there for me is the Rancho 9000 adj. I run setting 2 all the way around. Haven't found a smoother ride yet.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you want to get a really soft shock you can have them custom built to your specs from one of the big shock manufacturers. Bilstein, king, fox should all be able to do this for you but the price is going to be high. Finding an off the shelf shock that is going to give you what you are looking for is unlikely. Finding out things like you coil rate and the weight of you jeep will help in finding a shock that is tuned for your ride.
I'm with Dirtman, Coil Rate is going to play a big factor in how your Jeep rides. I also agree with him on shocks. I have the Fox Adjustable shocks but they are going to be valved too stiff for you.

If you contact King I'm sure you can get some adjustable shocks on both the Down and upstroke. They will come with 2 adjusters on each shock and they can also custom valve and tune your shocks to your needs. One problem with custom adjustable shocks are they are going to cost you around $600 or more per corner. I'm not sure your wanting to spend that kinda dough on some shocks for the road.

You could always get coil-overs for on road use... You would be the first that I know of to do it
Old 05-01-2016, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDoubleD
You can get your build sheet from jeep that will list all the details.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=<your vin>
Thanks for the link, I forgot that was out there. Unfortunately, my build sheet lists everything except spring information. I guess I could yank a front and rear spring and take them to a suspension shop that can test it.

The Rancho's price isn't bad, so I'll contact them to see what they have to say.

Thanks all.

Quick Reply: Plush shocks for on-road only