Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Really hot front drive shaft?

Old 02-22-2017, 02:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really hot front drive shaft?

Is it normal for the front drive shaft to get hot?
It is close to the exhaust but I was looking for a rattle last night after I got home and grabbed the front drive shaft to check for play and it was really hot, hot enough that I could not hold on to it !
When I checked the rear it was fine, hardly even warm.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

You might want to check your front axle and transfer case for fluid and u joints for failure. I don't remember my front shaft getting that hot. Shit that sounds dirty .
Friction causes heat.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
You might want to check your front axle and transfer case for fluid and u joints for failure. I don't remember my front shaft getting that hot. Shit that sounds dirty .
Friction causes heat.
Fluids are all good, TC and diff are not hot, warm but not hot. The exhaust down pipe comes pretty close to the front drive shaft, is there supposed to be a heat shield between the two possibly?
Old 02-23-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Bump; is there a heat shield between the exhaust downpipe and the front drive shaft ?, 09 JKU. thanks
Old 02-23-2017, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There's a heat shield on the crossover but nothing further up by the cats. Do you have any other modification to your driveshaft? Mine ran warm while the new cv was seating...about a couple days.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
There's a heat shield on the crossover but nothing further up by the cats. Do you have any other modification to your driveshaft? Mine ran warm while the new cv was seating...about a couple days.
No other mods. I am now wondering if one of the CV/U joints are failing. Next time I well check the temp at both ends of the shaft, if the joint is heating the shaft I would assume that the joint itself would be really hot. Question: If I am running in 2wd why would the front shaft be spinning to get hot? Thanks
Old 02-23-2017, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by uncletiffy
No other mods. I am now wondering if one of the CV/U joints are failing. Next time I well check the temp at both ends of the shaft, if the joint is heating the shaft I would assume that the joint itself would be really hot. Question: If I am running in 2wd why would the front shaft be spinning to get hot? Thanks
Your front shaft is spinning cuz we don't have unlockable hubs. So, as the tires turn, the gears in the diff are turning, and therefore the driveshaft.....even though it's not engaged at the TC.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Harbor freight has a very inexpensive non contact thermometer. You may want to consider using that. You can drive around, then measure the actual temp at various places along the drive shaft. Finding the hottest point may help you zero in on the source.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Just to give you a baseline......

Hottest point was 124* at the cv (way too hot). The shaft was ~98* if I'm recalling correctly with an ambient temp of 75*. You could see the temp drop right at the splined section. It was burning up at the tcase mount but tcase was ambient as was the far side of the shaft at the diff.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Just to give you a baseline......

Hottest point was 124* at the cv (way too hot). The shaft was ~98* if I'm recalling correctly with an ambient temp of 75*. You could see the temp drop right at the splined section. It was burning up at the tcase mount but tcase was ambient as was the far side of the shaft at the diff.
So, your CV failed?

Quick Reply: Really hot front drive shaft?