Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear axle leaking into rim....

Old 05-25-2016, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle leaking into rim....

Took my jeep out of storage last week and noticed some minor leaking of oil from the rear axle inside of my rim and running down the back side of the tire. I'm assuming this is all that uncommon but into looking for a seal kit I haven't had much luck. I've done some reading that states I'll also need bearings as the seal is actually on the axle itself not in the housing . Anyone done this install ? That can also point me in the direction of a seal kit possibly including bearings 😁?
Old 05-25-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The seal is pressed onto the axle shaft, so replacing the seals can be expensive if you don't have the know-how or tools to pull the bearings and such.

Depending on how many miles you have on the axles, and if you wheel your jeep, something to consider would to just replace your rear shafts. Here's my reasoning. If you get new shafts with everything pressed on, it's an easy swap. Pull the old shafts, put the new ones back in. Plus, especially if you wheel your jeep, you have trail spares.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Before you spend any money...

Clean up all the residue and check the fluid level. Run it for a while to see if it continues to leak.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like your axel seal may be leaking. If it is coming from where the axle shaft goes into the axle tube the it is defiantly that. That is gear oil from the differential. You can ignore it and keep it filled or replace the seal and forget it. Should cost @$350 ish. I have the same problem with my 2008 JKUR.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concur. I noticed the same thing on mine. Cleaned it all up, checked fluid, been a month now and nothing else.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks alot for the input, I cleaned everything up today topped up my level and am going to keep an eye on it . I was looking at going the upgrading of the axle way anyways so it's good to know the install would be much easy if I decide to go that route.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely the axel seal. Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. The seal itself is very inexpensive. It's the labor that kills you. Whether you DIY or pay someone else...it's a B! Good luck.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

also check to make sure the breather hose end is not clogged up, the seal on my RV was leaking and my vent hose end was plugged up with mud from the mud bee's , cleaned it up and no more leaks
Old 06-07-2016, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

My '08 leaked into the parking brake for over a year, I cleaned it out once but it came back soon after. (That's one reason the parking brake didn't hold well). I took it to the dealer since I have the lifetime powertrain warranty. They replaced the seals and bearings on both sides for free.
They also called me and said the water pump was also leaking (I noticed a drip in the garage every now and then) and they replaced it for free too.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bpohio
My '08 leaked into the parking brake for over a year, I cleaned it out once but it came back soon after. (That's one reason the parking brake didn't hold well). I took it to the dealer since I have the lifetime powertrain warranty. They replaced the seals and bearings on both sides for free.
They also called me and said the water pump was also leaking (I noticed a drip in the garage every now and then) and they replaced it for free too.
Are you the original owner? I bought mine used. I'm wondering if it's transferable.

Quick Reply: Rear axle leaking into rim....