Default Removing Third Brake Light Cover

I am trying to remove the plastic red cover from the third brake light so i can black it out...for the life of me I can't get it off....you think it would just pop on and off...i can disconnect the harness and wiring but the actual red plastic cover is a SOB and i don't want to break it....does anyone know how this comes off?????
    2008 JK Wrangler Unlimited X
    1980 CJ-7
    1969 CJ-5

Yep. Here's how I did it. Keep your tailgate closed and let the soft top slam down on it. Voila! Your cover is out.

Northridge4x4.com

2010 Unlimited Natural Green Pearl
    6 speed
    Rough Country 2.5" BB
    15X8 MB72's Matte Black
    Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar 33X12.5X15
    AEV Procal
    Stubbied front bumper
    Grill Mod

nice....i do have a hard top so thats not going to work....are you saying that it is just pure force that gets it out?
    1980 CJ-7
    1969 CJ-5

There are four screws that thread from the back side and it will slide off the housing. I did this when I was relocating it so I'm not sure if you have to remove the entire carrier to get to the screws.
    2010 Bright Silver Sport 2-Door Auto
    Rancho 4"Sport Lift w/ RS9000 shocks/ Evo C Gussets and LCA skids/ Poison Spyder evap skid/ JKS Disco's & rear TB bracket/ AEV Procal/ 35/12.5/15 Goodyear MTR's/ 15x8 MB Razors/ Rugged Ridge light guards/ Tuff Stuff Hi-lift hood mount/ Daystar upper dash pannel/ Cobra 19 CB

The lens will not come off by itself, it is all one big piece.

yea i got it off to that point where you take off the wiring harness disconnect i just don't understand why they would make a cover that doesn't come off...im afraid to take a flathead screwdriver to it in fear of breaking it in half....if it is meant never to come off...
    1980 CJ-7
    1969 CJ-5

How do you plan to black it out? If using the spray tint, why don't you just mask it off?
    2010 Bright Silver Sport 2-Door Auto
    Rancho 4"Sport Lift w/ RS9000 shocks/ Evo C Gussets and LCA skids/ Poison Spyder evap skid/ JKS Disco's & rear TB bracket/ AEV Procal/ 35/12.5/15 Goodyear MTR's/ 15x8 MB Razors/ Rugged Ridge light guards/ Tuff Stuff Hi-lift hood mount/ Daystar upper dash pannel/ Cobra 19 CB

8. Default JK-Forum