Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

snow tire recomendation

Old 04-10-2015, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow tire recomendation

I have a 2013 Sport. Will be looking for rims and tires for winter driving.We get lots of snow. Most driving on highway but do lots of driving on old log roads during hunting seasons through snow and mud. Would like bigger more aggresive tire and rims without having liftrs, spacers or other mods. First time on board, thanks for the help.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

I'd recommend Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs as a good snow tire (they are a great all-around tire too).

Click image for larger version

Name:	0000222_300.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	605726

They have a lot of factory siping that seems to wear well and can be studded if necessary. Here is a comparison of Duratracs with other 4x4 tires (Massive 4x4 Tire Guide - Four Wheeler Magazine).

I was running 33" GY Wrangler Duratracs and when I went to 37" GY Wrangler MTRs, I decided to keep my Duratracs to run in the Winter.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x2 Duratracs .... Using them last 3 winters here in Canada ..... Love them ..... Snowflake rated..... Switch to MTR's with Kevlar for my summers
Old 04-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Former Member

Oh man this winter tire sh-t is the biggest scam perpetrated by the tire industry Just drive smart and any tire will get you through winter just fine. Especially driving a Jeep.
Gotta go now and buy a whack of stocks in the tire companies. I won't buy them after 45 years of driving but I don't mind making some coin off the people being fished into jumping on the bandwagon
Can I sell anyone a wind generator while we're at this
Old 04-10-2015, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Oh man this winter tire sh-t is the biggest scam perpetrated by the tire industry Just drive smart and any tire will get you through winter just fine. Especially driving a Jeep.
Gotta go now and buy a whack of stocks in the tire companies. I won't buy them after 45 years of driving but I don't mind making some coin off the people being fished into jumping on the bandwagon
Appears this scam is successfully making its way through my legislature...Colorado Expanded Snow Tire Requirement Passes Toughest Test « CBS Denver
Old 04-10-2015, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

Hope you're kidding!!! You'll get there alright 30 minutes late lol .... I've tested Mickey Thompson ATZ's , MTZ's, MTR's all in winter none come close to my Duratracs
Old 04-11-2015, 03:02 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Hope you're kidding!!! You'll get there alright 30 minutes late lol .... I've tested Mickey Thompson ATZ's , MTZ's, MTR's all in winter none come close to my Duratracs
Hope you're kidding. Proving you will drive faster because of a sense of security is why people overdrive their cornering and braking abilities. Overconfidence is never a good thing in life. Wonder why it's usually 4wd's I see in the ditch
Whatever go nuts. Pay for 2 sets of tires and rims. Just never make it mandatory like some places.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:57 AM
JK Junkie

Hope you're kidding. Proving you will drive faster because of a sense of security is why people overdrive their cornering and braking abilities. Overconfidence is never a good thing in life. Wonder why it's usually 4wd's I see in the ditch
Whatever go nuts. Pay for 2 sets of tires and rims. Just never make it mandatory like some places.
Forget the idiots who drive faster because of the false sense a security with snow tires on and 4wd they deserve to end up in a ditch..... But I drive for a living(47 yrs old) and if you believe a regular tire or even an all season tire is equal to a snow tire .....and in this case we're talking about the Duratrac(snow flake rated) then you're either an idiot(not calling you one ... Just saying) misleading the OP and/or you really need to do a comparison test ..... Like I have to feel the difference ..... There's a difference no doubt about it.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CO Jeeper
Appears this scam is successfully making its way through my legislature...Colorado Expanded Snow Tire Requirement Passes Toughest Test « CBS Denver
that's only for vehicles without 4wd or AWD. Washington state and many others have this same law. So, we Jeep drivers have no concern. Unless it's a 2wd.

To the OP, I'm not a Goodyear fan at all. I refuse to buy them as I think they are a shit tire, due to many experiences. But I will say, my buddy runs them and I run Nitto trails and his GY Duratracs are far better in snow than my Nittos. It's all about compound, tread and siping. Which the Duratrac has all three. If you don't mind a tire that is hard to balance and can need rebalancing over time, go with them. You likely won't be disappointed.

How much better? There are times I am in 4 wheel and need it on the road. I drove his rig on the same day, same road and didn't need 4 wheel as much. Noticeable difference in his rig and mine in either 2 or 4 wheel drive. Stopping was better as well as cornering. This, coming from a guy who won't buy them. I'll still say they are an excellent all around tire. Remarkable difference in the snow.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 04-11-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Have 285/75/16 Duratrac through two yearswinters (last year was really bad) and they are excellent in the snow and decently quiet on the highway.

Quick Reply: snow tire recomendation