Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SRC side armor fitment

Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRC side armor fitment

Just a quick question regarding the Smittybilt SRC side armor...

I know many have had issues with the brackets aligning properly with the body mount bolts. However, has anyone found that the screws are too short?

I installed the driver side rail no issues. Passenger side seems to be no issue either (bolts and holes align) but I can't get the bolts on the front body mount to fit and go thru the brackets. Maybe I'm not putting it on correctly? I am putting them on by myself so maybe I just need another eye/hand? I'm glad I don't have to grind anything....yet.

Any help would be great.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:45 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to Smitty's site, Any thing here offer you support:

SRC Side Armor JK - Smittybilt

Click the appropriate side armor .PDF
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

I installed this past weekend by myself on a 14 and had zero issues. Sorry you're having one.

The only thing I noticed was that you've got to tweak it a bit to get around the lower metal part of the body mount. It's late but I'll try to snap a pic of what I mean tomorrow. But fwiw, it was about 20 mins here to do both sides.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Back when i ran them i had the same issue the first time i mounted them. I had 1 bolt that didnt want to mount right so i undid the other 3 and did the bad one first then the rest fell into place.

Heh reminds me i should get around to selling them since theyre just sitting in the garage
Old 09-18-2014, 09:42 PM
-

Well I was going to add that the first thing the instructions say.,. is that the shorter screw would be located in the front of these.. so I'm wondering if he may have used the longer screws just on one side and left with the shorts on the other..
Me, personally, if I have an issue witht eh screws.. ad-lib.. run down to the hardware store and buy a few more of the long screws or make alterations..
Old 09-19-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-456758996.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	576263

So I went to retry and install the SRCs but ran into a problem - I cannot remove the nut from one of the rear body mount bolts because it's spinning (see picture, left bolt)! The top of the bolt is flat and round so there's no way to grip it with pliers and the space is to small and narrow to cut it off! What can I do?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:58 PM
-

You sure you mean the left bolt?.. cause the body mount bolt is the right one.. and yes.. when I removed the nurf bars installed by the previous owner.. the last bolt kept spinning.. My solution, was to lower the nurf bar (still attached in that location) and sit on it while unscrewing the body bolt.. the downward pressure forced the bolt free.. Just make sure you have something soft to land on when the bolt reaches the exit..

If it's the other bolt and it has a rounded top.. and if you have a dremel, One could cut a slot for a screw drive or simply grind off the top/head or you could place two other nuts on the empty threads below, locking them together to create an area to hold tight until you get the first bolt loose.

Last edited by AngryRedBird; 09-19-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stinkfoot
Back when i ran them i had the same issue the first time i mounted them. I had 1 bolt that didnt want to mount right so i undid the other 3 and did the bad one first then the rest fell into place. Heh reminds me i should get around to selling them since theyre just sitting in the garage
2 or 4 door?
Old 09-19-2014, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, I mean the one on the left, it has a rounded top. The space is so small I can't get a grip on the top nor would I be able to fit a screw driver in to push down...so frustrating!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:14 PM
-

Edited..

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
you could place two other nuts on the empty threads below, locking them together to create an area to hold tight until you get the first bolt loose.

Quick Reply: SRC side armor fitment