Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starting problem ?

Old 10-01-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrangled
Well I have placed a second ground to the alternator, and am hopefull that this fixes the "click, no start" problem. Only time will tell. I do know that a good ground is every bit as important as a good positive connection, and this seems to ground directly to the engine block, so it may do the trick, if the issue is a ground one. The only other thing it really could be is the transmission range sensor itself, which is not as easliy dealt with.
Thanks for the info and the pics.
I think that I am having the same issue with my 2013 JKUR Manual Transmission. Will probably try the 2nd ground, thanks.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by doc5339
I think that I am having the same issue with my 2013 JKUR Manual Transmission. Will probably try the 2nd ground, thanks.
It turned-out just to be the battery in my case. I replaced the OEM with an Interstate 48/H6 MT5 AGM.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a follow up. It's been almost two weeks since installing the additional ground, and not once has it clicked and failed to start. I believe this is a must do mod. Especially if anyone is experiencing a starting issue. Thanks again for the info and pics.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

After getting the "Jeep Flu," and of course conveniently before a big desert trip, I just
installed the ground hoping it'll resolve the starting issue.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can't hurt!
Old 10-14-2015, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup...$10 for the cable is worth a shot. The Stealership wants $500 to replace the TRS.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

I've had the click no start on my 08 maybe 5 times since new. Each time I've gently bumped the gear shift towards park, started each time. I used my remote start once too and it fired right up

The extra ground wire mod is a good idea added to the list.

Worse case until I can do this mod and IF this happens and the bump no fix.....booster cables make a good extra temp ground to get ya going.

Thanks for the posted pics BTW
Old 06-10-2023, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No start issue…

Just wanted to throw out something I had go wrong that sounds similar to this. My jeep started out sometimes I would turn the key and just a click. It sounded just one would when a starter would first start to go out. Sometimes you just hold the key and extra second or turn it again. It got progressively worse where it would happen more often. I didn’t realize it was related but I would also sometimes get that red light to come on at random times. The one above the temp gauge. Well they were related. Turned out it was the ignition switch. It’s not the part the key goes into but it’s actually the piece it turns. It’s on the other end of the key cylinder inside the steering wheel cover. Didn’t take 30 minutes to change and the part costs about 65 dollars. So anybody that’s having that starting issue if you have that red light ever coming on I’d start there.
Old 06-11-2023, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ground it

I had the same issue. I took my booster cables and went from the battery ground post to a metal a/c pipe near the starter. Works perfect. A good set of booster cables makes an awesome ground cable. The cables were long enough to tuck around the rad etc. So now I’m going to buy a heavy duty ground cable and use one of the starter bolts to fasten one end with. The other end to the battery.

Originally Posted by lvisman96
Hi Everyone ~ Has anyone had this particular problem ? My 2008 JK just makes one click when I try to start it...it's done this almost since I bought it (new), but very infrequently at first. I was able to put the key back into 'off' position, then try again and it would start. Initially I thought it was the battery, so replaced the battery. I now have about 75,000 miles on it and it has gotten worse...more frequent and won't start by turning key to off position and trying again. I knew it wasn't the battery (electrical problem...yet another battery's only a few months old), so I went to the next logical thing...fuel. I pumped the gas a few times and it started right up. I now have to do this every time it happens, which is quite often now. Anyone have any idea what this could be ? Thanks in advance ~Dan

Routing cable around rad etc

Actually have both clamps of booster cable on neg post

Red cable on a body ground and down below there the black clamp on a a/c pipe

Last edited by Starwarsobio; 06-11-2023 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Starting problem ?