Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering box replacement on 2009 JK

Old 04-17-2016, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering box replacement on 2009 JK

I just replaced the Wheel bearing assemblies, the u-joints and the ball joints and I still have a cluck in the front end I can't identify. I believe it's related to the leaking steering gear box and that the whole gear box needs to be replaced.

Prices vary from re-manufactured to new and get pricey. I'm also curious is I should add a sector shaft brace?

I don't wheel or crawl or mud, but I camp a lot and see a lot of logging road.

There's a place near here that does transmission and front end work that I trust, I plan to have to them an inspection on the work I just did and find other problems, causes for the mysterious clunks\knuckle sounds I can feel.

Do you have advice on gear boxes, success or failure stories? Is this something a lay mechanic like myself should attempt or best left to pros?

Thx for your feedback!
Old 04-17-2016, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Its 5 bolts and 2 hoses, pretty straight forward. You might price out a ported box from West Texas Offroad to see how they compare to prices you are getting. There may be a rebuild kit out there as well, which is just some seals and is pretty easy to do.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

What Dirtman said. Pretty easy to change out and getting one that's already ported from WTO is a good bit of advise.

Are you SURE your track bar is okay up front? Not loose? No bushing problems (especially at the axle)?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check your steering intermediate shaft mine went bad causing the clunk
Old 04-17-2016, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

You checked the drag link? they go bad pretty quick, and will cause a clunking noise when turning the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-18-2016, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to have professionals look at it tomorrow. I can make sure that these things are checked and properly identified or eliminated. It sounds good to know that the seals can be replaced, and the shaft re greased etc. I'll report back what the shop says and see you what you all have to say.

THX
Old 04-20-2016, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not inclined to tackle this one with other obligations. The mechanic says he wouldn't\won't replace seals and recommends replacing unit. Plus, I have a leak where the intake meets the head, it bubbles coolant, so they need to do that work anyway. They think it might involve removing the timing chain cover etc.

In terms of a re manufactured steering box, they all have a disclaimer that the warranty doesn't cover off road use, therefore a 4x4 wouldn't qualify as it is inherently off road.

In terms of brands, AutoZone has a Duralast for $264 with a 20% discount which looks as good as any to me. I bought my MOOG from them and glad I did. The physical location is close to me for the core return and the mgr is easy to work with.

Duralast/Steering Gear (Power Steering) 7827 - Read Reviews on Duralast #7827

Old 04-20-2016, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited_Fun
I'm not inclined to tackle this one with other obligations. The mechanic says he wouldn't\won't replace seals and recommends replacing unit. Plus, I have a leak where the intake meets the head, it bubbles coolant, so they need to do that work anyway. They think it might involve removing the timing chain cover etc. In terms of a re manufactured steering box, they all have a disclaimer that the warranty doesn't cover off road use, therefore a 4x4 wouldn't qualify as it is inherently off road. In terms of brands, AutoZone has a Duralast for $264 with a 20% discount which looks as good as any to me. I bought my MOOG from them and glad I did. The physical location is close to me for the core return and the mgr is easy to work with. Duralast/Steering Gear (Power Steering) 7827 - Read Reviews on Duralast #7827 .
Just because you own a 4x4 doesn't mean you offroad. Just because you offroad doesn't mean the manufacturer knows you offroad. Autozone and the like employees don't give a shit.
It's not just seals that come in the rebuild kit.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh sure, I'm just stating the disclaimers. I doubt the manager would prevent the rma.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstercanada
Check your steering intermediate shaft mine went bad causing the clunk
What he said. Check this before you replace any other component. You can eliminate the clunk by squirting some grease into the boot on the intermediate shaft. Common issue on '07 - '09 JKs.

Quick Reply: Steering box replacement on 2009 JK