Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stock muffler lifespan

Old 11-27-2016, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock muffler lifespan

What's the estimated life of an oem muffler. I was wondering when to plan to replace mine. I'm in Maryland so not really the rust belt.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Paint it up with bbq paint and it'll resist corrosion better but the lifespan of a muffler is defined by when it fails to function as an effective sound muffler.

Side bar- I bought a 2003 Rubicon out of MD back in 2009 and the muffler needed replacement due to corrosion. While you're not in the rust belt, it still attacks the vehicles there.....anywhere north of Richmond, VA or so will have that creeping rust. The muffler on my 2010 is painted with bbq paint so no corrosion and it still muffles the noise from the engine.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed there is no set time. It all depends on the area and other factors like salted roads. I replaced mine with 70k and it still looked new but I live in nc.are you looking for a reason to justify an upgrade?If so we can help you come up with one
Old 11-27-2016, 05:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

My '08 muffler is still good after nine winters of salt and salt brine. The pipes are the same.

I don't know the lifespan, as the parts have not failed yet.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

talked to my dealership about muffler replacement
he said the if a problem can be traced to a exhaust pressure
no warrenty
Old 11-28-2016, 04:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by tramp
talked to my dealership about muffler replacement
he said the if a problem can be traced to a exhaust pressure
no warrenty
No mention of an "exhaust pressure" exclusion in the basic 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.
Sounds like a made-up condition they can use to deny warranty claims.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I live in the rust belt. I have a 2009 with 125K miles on it, the muffler is still in good shape. I'm kind of surprised because every vehicle I had prior only lasted 1/2 that due to getting rusted out. I'ld say it's a long lasting muffler.

The only thing that is bad is that damn heat shield that sits on top of the muffler which comes loose over time, then sits on top of the muffler and rattles. I currently have that going on.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:00 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I live in the rust belt. I have a 2009 with 125K miles on it, the muffler is still in good shape. I'm kind of surprised because every vehicle I had prior only lasted 1/2 that due to getting rusted out. I'ld say it's a long lasting muffler.
The muffler and pipes are made of 409 Stainless. 409 will get some surface rust, but resists rust-through from inside and outside.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. I have a '12 and drive it year round...especially in the snow. Previous keeps have always needed a muffler after 5 years. Currently I have that annoying heat shield rattling against the muffler so I was wondering whether I should replace the muffler since I have to remove it to get this shield.
Is the heat shield really needed?

Ronjenx is the mufflers are 409 shouldn't they last forever?
Old 11-28-2016, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by themoneyshot
Thanks for the responses. I have a '12 and drive it year round...especially in the snow. Previous keeps have always needed a muffler after 5 years. Currently I have that annoying heat shield rattling against the muffler so I was wondering whether I should replace the muffler since I have to remove it to get this shield.
Is the heat shield really needed?

Ronjenx is the mufflers are 409 shouldn't they last forever?
409 is resistant to corrosion. That doesn't mean it'll last more than a long time.

Keep the shield. Look at the pins that it hangs from. If they are still there, you can use large, thin body washers, and push-on nuts to re-secure shield. Both items I found at an auto paint supply store.

Quick Reply: Stock muffler lifespan