Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Superchip Programmer in comparision to Overdrive OFF (SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS)

Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superchip Programmer in comparision to Overdrive OFF (SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS)

I'm on the wall about buying A Superchip's Programmer.

I have a 2 Door Stock JK with Rubicon Take-Offs and an Automatic Transmission.

My performance mod's are my MBRP Exhaust, K & N drop in filter, and my cut fenders

With all the above stated, can someone tell me how much different the Superchips will feel if adding it to a basic and stock JK?

Is there a comparison between turning the Overdrive off and having no Superchips versus having Superchips with overdrive left on (normal jeep mode )

Please feel free to ask me questions if you do not understand my thread. I hope someone else's questions and feels are represented in this thread.

Thank you,

Pluke.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pluke, I just added my Superchips programming about 4 days ago, so take that into consideration when you read my experience so far. I've driven alot with overdrive off, before the Superchips. I usually got about 16.5 to 17 mpg around town (A/C tuned off), with good driving performance, with OD off, on my mostly stock, auto transmission, 2-door, 4.1 gears. I am now using the Superchips tow tune and 93 octane, and keeping OD switched on and the A/C usually switched off. Gas mileage, around town is up to about 17.5-18. But, so far I haven't noticed very much, if any, improvement in the auto trans shift points- it still downshifts at about the same RPMs and speed on the same hills and same places that it did before the Superchips. I'm hoping that may improve over more time.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by motorvated
Pluke, I just added my Superchips programming about 4 days ago, so take that into consideration when you read my experience so far. I've driven alot with overdrive off, before the Superchips. I usually got about 16.5 to 17 mpg around town (A/C tuned off), with good driving performance, with OD off, on my mostly stock, auto transmission, 2-door, 4.1 gears. I am now using the Superchips tow tune and 93 octane, and keeping OD switched on and the A/C usually switched off. Gas mileage, around town is up to about 17.5-18. But, so far I haven't noticed very much, if any, improvement in the auto trans shift points- it still downshifts at about the same RPMs and speed on the same hills and same places that it did before the Superchips. I'm hoping that may improve over more time.
Perfect response. You're getting great gas mileage in comparison to my stock jk, where i am at 14.5.

I would like to weigh out the cost to power margins, as i'm debating if i should start to save for a lift kit first or buy this and cai.

thank you!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

what about performance wise??? can u tell a difference cuz i really want power not gas lol
Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by etsam7655
what about performance wise??? can u tell a difference cuz i really want power not gas lol
Hopefully Camaroguy will see this and chime in. He just put one in his Jeep and was telling me how glad he was that he did it. He said power was much better as well as gas milage. Dont know specifics but you can hollar at him if ya want. LOL Tell him I said so
Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by etsam7655
For me, with an auto trans, a good measure of performance is by comparing shift points. Another performance indicator could be acceleration- I've noticed no differences so far in acceleration. But, according to most others' experiences that I've read, that will probably improve over time. My goal, before purchasing the Superchips, was to improve shift points, not MPG.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by motorvated
For me, with an auto trans, a good measure of performance is by comparing shift points. Another performance indicator could be acceleration- I've noticed no differences so far in acceleration. But, according to most others' experiences that I've read, that will probably improve over time. My goal, before purchasing the Superchips, was to improve shift points, not MPG.

Drive it for a week and go back to stock. The power difference going from tuned back to stock is much more noticable for some reason.

The superchips allows you to test your 0-60 times. Flash back to stock and do a 0-60 run. Then flash to the 93 tune and do a 0-60 run.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Doc, I'll try that.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Post up with a result. or at least an experience.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi

There are about a handful of guys on this forum that don't think the flaspaq is worth it, and about 1500 guys that love it to death.....for any and all reasons. So you can pretty much get an idea from that.

I have the flashpaq and Airaid CAI. The shift points were highly improved and my 2dr really get's up and goes. And this is from a former muscle car owner from the 60's. So take that for what it's worth. Just get one..........you'll love it....

Quick Reply: Superchip Programmer in comparision to Overdrive OFF (SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS)