Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Suspension loud over bumps

Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RenegadeUL13
I will rewatch the vid. And unfortunately I don't have or know anyone with a gopro.... But an excellent suggestion.
ive duct taped my phone under there before to get a good look at stuff....
Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's not a bad idea I do have a spare smartphone....
Old 04-04-2014, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is most likely your tie rod ends. I have the same problem and that is what the dealership said. I also checked the control arms, bolts, track bar and all was tight. There is no issue driving and the sound only happens when you go slowly over a bump. Sounds like the front spring is moving or not set correctly.

The work is under warranty for me and they ordered the following:

52060054-AB
52060048-AD
52060052-AG
52060053-AE
6036747-AA

The work order says they found all tie rod ends loose and worn. I don't have and suspension modifications and unfortunately have not been off-road that much so it wasn't due to anything extreme. I have 26k miles on a 2013 and they said they hadn't seen a failure this early. Some others on the forum said they had a failure at 6k miles. The tie rod rotates like it should but there is not a lot of resistance and there should be a good amount.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by junokilo
It is most likely your tie rod ends. I have the same problem and that is what the dealership said. I also checked the control arms, bolts, track bar and all was tight. There is no issue driving and the sound only happens when you go slowly over a bump. Sounds like the front spring is moving or not set correctly. The work is under warranty for me and they ordered the following: 52060054-AB 52060048-AD 52060052-AG 52060053-AE 6036747-AA The work order says they found all tie rod ends loose and worn. I don't have and suspension modifications and unfortunately have not been off-road that much so it wasn't due to anything extreme. I have 26k miles on a 2013 and they said they hadn't seen a failure this early. Some others on the forum said they had a failure at 6k miles. The tie rod rotates like it should but there is not a lot of resistance and there should be a good amount.
Sounds like the likely culprit. I'd imagine worn tie rod ends would also contribute to "sloppy" handling?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Well. I think I found the problem. The lower driver side stud on my JKS QD's was as loose as it can be without falling off. Don't know how I didn't realize this when I climbed under their recently. Had a hard time getting it snug I only have a small torx driver that fits in the hole on the JKS stud. I'll drive it more tomorrow to see if the noise is gone and if it doesn't work itself loose again. I have stock end links ready to go on...
Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RenegadeUL13
Well. I think I found the problem. The lower driver side stud on my JKS QD's was as loose as it can be without falling off. Don't know how I didn't realize this when I climbed under their recently. Had a hard time getting it snug I only have a small torx driver that fits in the hole on the JKS stud. I'll drive it more tomorrow to see if the noise is gone and if it doesn't work itself loose again. I have stock end links ready to go on...
Mine used to CONSTANTLY come loose and drive me crazy. It is not easy torquing the damn thing down either..
Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

It's not at all. I don't have anything to use to stick in the hole except one little torx screwdriver! Did you end up solving this problem or are you still suffering from it?? I will apply some loc tite and hope that helps. Though I thought I did that initially.....
Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 PM
JK Freak

Update: removed the JKS and reinstalled stock end links. Seems to be handling much better but still and audible thud/clunk over bumps. Made an appointment for next Monday to get looked at.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 AM
JK Freak

Stealership said everything is fine. I think they are full of it. What would cause a thud/clunk over bumps from the driver front and not the passenger front? Shocks? Ball joints? Tie rod ends? I really don't know. Any ideas? I'm thinking shocks and I don't mind dropping a little money for better ones but I would like to know if it is the cause. I've been driving this jeep long enough to know it's not normal.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Switch shocks between sides to check your theory. A lot of bushings down there, too. Pull and prod and probe and see if something wiggles that shouldn't.

Quick Reply: Suspension loud over bumps