Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission Dead.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Dead.

I have a 2010 JKU x with an auto tranny. Me and the family decided to load up and head out for a long drive ending in Vegas. Drove down from Reno with some stops in goldfield and at death valley to have a little fun. Made it to Vegas no problems drove around the strip a little before checking into our hotel no problems. Woke up the next morning to go visit a friend in Henderson. Was driving down the road no problems then next thing I know my tranny slipps out of gear and won't go back in. Now all it does is make a whineing noise. so needless to say I have a friend coming down to trailer it home and rip the tranny out of it. Any one ever heard of this problem before? I have never had any problems with it. Except for it overheating once while wheeling.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you check the fluid level ? The whine you hear is pump whine
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a transmission tech
Old 01-23-2015, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default full

Yeah it's full of fluid. It doesn't make any noise untill u put it into gear and the you hear a faint whine.

Last edited by Z16ZAG; 01-23-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok fluid has to be checked on neutral. Check level on dipstick with engine off. Then start jeep put in neutral and check level. If it drops pump is fine if it stays the same the pump is gone or filter is plugging up. Both mean transmission needs a rebuild
Old 01-24-2015, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could it be a xfer case problem?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure what it could be at this point . Dragging it back home now. So once I get there and tear it apart I Wil let you guys know what I find.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default trans dead

before you tear into it,grab the t-case handle and put it down in 4-low,does it feel normal?,ive seen many,many t-case shift linkage bushings break/fall off. if the t-case is in neutral you could have those symtoms. if the trans wants to move a little better while in 4-low then you could have burnt clutches.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is the fluid black and have a burned smell? Do you have an external transmission cooler? The fluid may be so burned it's causing a slip because there is no longer any fiber material on the clutches. That's caused by overheating concerns, due to the fluid vascosity breaking down and prematurely wears the fiber material on the clutches.

Also the one way clutch (also know as the sprag) inside the trans could be broken. Did you check to see if you had reverse?

Good luck wish you the best.

Last edited by JK_Crawler; 01-28-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

So tranny fluid is black should have said that sooner. No forward gear no reverse just revs the engine and doesn't go anywhere. Waiting till I have a day off to take it apart and look at it. Pretty sure it's the clutch though..so I have been looking for a new tranny thinking about trying one of the ATS transmissions.

Last edited by Z16ZAG; 01-28-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Dead.