Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transmission failure on an 08

Old 12-14-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Do not install a trans cooler if you have the lifetime warranty. It will void the warranty. I have told this by Chrysler. Even if it is Chrysler cooler installed by Chrysler.
Not true, even Chrysler will install aux coolers on 3.8 trans's under warranty, especially those with the lifetime. They aren't that stupid.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I have the lifetime powertain warranty. I put on a B&M cooler back in '09 before the J30 recall (hot oil warning). Chrysler paid me for it after the recall issued. Since then they replaced my trans pan under warranty (for corrosion, of all things) and they passed it as all ok at my five year inspection. I'm surprised someone from Chrysler told you not to install one. It's practically mandatory on the 3.8/42RLE.
I've had one on my '09 since that HOT OIL light recall fiasco. Swapped it for the Mopar unit and new lines when the Mopar became available. Passed five year inspection just fine.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
I've had one on my '09 since that HOT OIL light recall fiasco. Swapped it for the Mopar unit and new lines when the Mopar became available. Passed five year inspection just fine.
I just found out about the 5 year inspection when I called Chrysler last week to ask them about the lifetime power train warranty. They told me it was not inspected within the five year time frame, so it voided the warranty. I'm the second owner and was never informed of the inspection... Chrysler sucks
Old 12-16-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cpfiremn
They told me it was not inspected within the five year time frame, so it voided the warranty. I'm the second owner and was never informed of the inspection... Chrysler sucks
Pretty sure the lifetime power train warranty was limited to the original owner anyway.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not true, even Chrysler will install aux coolers on 3.8 trans's under warranty, especially those with the lifetime. They aren't that stupid.
I would like this to be true, but Chrysler told me otherwise, so I will go with what Chrysler told me.

And yes Chrysler is that stupid. More so, even lol.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99
I would like this to be true, but Chrysler told me otherwise, so I will go with what Chrysler told me.

And yes Chrysler is that stupid. More so, even lol.
Who at "Chrysler" told you that?
Old 12-17-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Who at "Chrysler" told you that?

Call Chrsyler and ask them yourself. I don't know what else to say at this point.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Just as we suspected, no source. Move along, nothing to see here.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK_Crawler
My jeep is in the shop too with a transmission leak, they thought it was a rear main seal and when they removed the trans they seen it was coming from the seal around the torque converter, they went to remove the torque converter but it was stuck on the shaft. They quoted me a new one, the kicker is I'm fighting with my extended warranty because they don't want to cover the repair because of the over sized tires.

Wish me luck but I'm probably going to be biting this bullet
As expected guys the extended warranty company bucked and denied the claim. I went to the dealership and picked up my jeep last Friday, this past week I found out the hub on the torque cracked (causing my leak) and was binding on the imput shaft. After a few forceful yanks the torque converter came out, it broke the hub the rest of the way off but that's the only mechanical damage, the torque converter was blue'd indicating trans temps were over heating. Strange thing is I've never had any drivability issues with my transmission , I'm a GM mechanic and rebuild 2-3 transmissions a week so I know what to look for in a driving condition. I removed the front pump seal and inspected the torque converter hub bushing which was in great shape and removed the pan to inspect the filter and magnet inside for severe amounts of metal. I found small amounts of metal on the magnet but nothing alarming and filter looked great, now the fluid was scorched but that's due to the fluid temps getting so hot. long story short I installed a new torque converter, filter, front pump seal, fluid, and she's good as new. This week I will be installing the new external cooler with fan to a switch for on the trail use.

The dealership I was at was going to sell me a new transmission due to pure laziness or the technician being unqualified! This really pissed me off since the tech misdiagnosed the leak from the get go and then they tried to get me to pay for the removal of the transmission, I refused an spoke with the service manager for 5min and he apologized for the mistake his tech made and said I wouldn't owe them anything. He offered to have the tech put my jeep back together but I said no thanks, if he has 20yrs transmission experience and couldn't diagnose my transmission leak properly I didn't want him TRYING to put it back together. I said thank you again and loaded up the parts and my jeep and took them back to my dealership. I work for a dealership and know how things work, this dealerships tech was a joke and I don't recommend anyone in the ATL area take there jeep into Don Jackson Jeep in south ATL. It cost me $330 including the external cooler and fan, it would of cost me $3400 if I was not a mechanic or a naïve consumer. This is the kind of dealership or what others may call Stealership that give other car dealerships a bad name.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK_Crawler
As expected guys the extended warranty company bucked and denied the claim. I went to the dealership and picked up my jeep last Friday, this past week I found out the hub on the torque cracked (causing my leak) and was binding on the imput shaft. After a few forceful yanks the torque converter came out, it broke the hub the rest of the way off but that's the only mechanical damage, the torque converter was blue'd indicating trans temps were over heating. Strange thing is I've never had any drivability issues with my transmission , I'm a GM mechanic and rebuild 2-3 transmissions a week so I know what to look for in a driving condition. I removed the front pump seal and inspected the torque converter hub bushing which was in great shape and removed the pan to inspect the filter and magnet inside for severe amounts of metal. I found small amounts of metal on the magnet but nothing alarming and filter looked great, now the fluid was scorched but that's due to the fluid temps getting so hot. long story short I installed a new torque converter, filter, front pump seal, fluid, and she's good as new. This week I will be installing the new external cooler with fan to a switch for on the trail use.

The dealership I was at was going to sell me a new transmission due to pure laziness or the technician being unqualified! This really pissed me off since the tech misdiagnosed the leak from the get go and then they tried to get me to pay for the removal of the transmission, I refused an spoke with the service manager for 5min and he apologized for the mistake his tech made and said I wouldn't owe them anything. He offered to have the tech put my jeep back together but I said no thanks, if he has 20yrs transmission experience and couldn't diagnose my transmission leak properly I didn't want him TRYING to put it back together. I said thank you again and loaded up the parts and my jeep and took them back to my dealership. I work for a dealership and know how things work, this dealerships tech was a joke and I don't recommend anyone in the ATL area take there jeep into Don Jackson Jeep in south ATL. It cost me $330 including the external cooler and fan, it would of cost me $3400 if I was not a mechanic or a naïve consumer. This is the kind of dealership or what others may call Stealership that give other car dealerships a bad name.
Glad you were able to diagnose & repair the issue yourself, but it's sad to know you were taken advantage of by both the dealer and extended warranty company. This is why independent repair shops do so well, and why it's often adviseable to skip extended warranties unless backed by the manufacturer. Even then some can be iffy when it comes tinme to pony up for the customer. My experience over many years suggests too many of them aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Just curious, what year JK do you have and what's the mileage?

Quick Reply: transmission failure on an 08