Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transmission failure on an 08

Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission failure on an 08

yep o8 rubicon 4 dr auto The tranmission totally failed pumps torque converter everything Dealer is talking to chrysler about putting in a remanufactured trany. I have the lifetime guarantee/warranty on the power train. How many others have had a trans failure?

the shop super told me that the new motor and tranny were twice better than the old one. so is that true?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 PM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are those who swear by the 3.8, while others say it has to be the 3.6.. Me.. at least for the time being.. is the 3.8.. but the trans does seem to be shuttering a bit at times.. Perhaps the old foot not engaging on the clutch properly.. nonetheless, if given a choice.. I would rather have had the newer (3.6) engine and trans over the old Chrysler Pacifica engine.. but again.. this question was directed more towards the 3.8 & 3.6.. because I would have said the cummins diesel..
Old 10-02-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
yep o8 rubicon 4 dr auto The tranmission totally failed pumps torque converter everything Dealer is talking to chrysler about putting in a remanufactured trany. I have the lifetime guarantee/warranty on the power train. How many others have had a trans failure? the shop super told me that the new motor and tranny were twice better than the old one. so is that true?
Happy to hear the lifetime warranty is covering the trans.

How many miles on the 08? Any symptoms or was the failure sudden? Had you done any maintenance like fluid changes?

Did you have an auxilliary cooler on it? Pretty much necessary on the 42RLE even if you don't tow, etc. You might want to put one on the replacement. Add a Magnafine filter during the aux cooler installation for added protection. Most transmission wear particles are produced in the first 5-15k miles.

The auto trans paired with the 3.6 is the A580. It's a much better offering than the 42RLE by all accounts.
It's the Mercedes NAG1.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
yep o8 rubicon 4 dr auto The tranmission totally failed pumps torque converter everything Dealer is talking to chrysler about putting in a remanufactured trany. I have the lifetime guarantee/warranty on the power train. How many others have had a trans failure? the shop super told me that the new motor and tranny were twice better than the old one. so is that true?
my transmission in my 09 is toast. I have 68,000 miles on the jeep and just installed the flex lite transmission cooler a few weeks before the tranny grenaded. I'm the second owner and not sure if my unlimited power train and warranty is still valid. I have two quotes and both transmission shops are within a few
Old 11-30-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Both transmission shops quoted me 3200-3400 for a rebuilt, better than OEM tranny. I have also found an online company that carries HD transmissions that I can purchase for $1400, carrying their warranty. Then I would have a transmission shop install it for me
Old 12-01-2014, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good to know that Chrysler is standing behind their warranties.

Can't speak about the new trannies but that 3.6, relatively speaking, is a powerhouse compared to the the 3.8. Often get left in the dust while on the pavement with by a guy who has a similar build.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

This is scary, I just replaced my head gasket at 74K.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Damnn. I had to replace my transmission on my 08 at about 120,000 miles
Old 12-01-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had a bearing fail in the 6spd of my 08. Dealer was told to rebuild it, but wasn't quite right so they replaced it under the lifetime powertrain warranty at 119k. Took a couple weeks to get it all sorted out, but pretty happy with how it went
Old 12-01-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys aren't making me feel good about my 07 auto with 65k.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: transmission failure on an 08