Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

water pump chirping...um, no it's your alternator

Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I took my jeep to the dealership to get the infamous chirping looked at and they said they think it's the alternator. I told the service manager how lots of jeepers have this problem on the '12's and '13's and I even had a video of my engine with noise and several other videos of the same noise on different jeeps. He didn't even care!! Told him about the forums and he said basically he didn't put much credibility into them. Umm ok. Said they had a jeep in that made the same noise and a new water pump didn't fix it. He didn't say if a new alternator didand I was too stunned to ask. I don't know what to believe.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Just take the alternator under warranty and if it still happens come back. A water pump job is more expensive than alternator so they will want to avoid a costly labor job
Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's not the alternator or the water pump...My Buddy just had the same issue on his Grand Cherokee with the Penti. He took it to the dealer and it ended up being the crank pulley rubbing on the block when warm. Apparently the tolerance is so tight that when the pulley gets hot and expands it begins to rub. Apparently it is a common issue with the 3.6. Dealer repaired under warranty.

If possible I would take it to another dealer who knows what they are doing rather then having them change unnecessary parts under warranty and wasting your time.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

+1 on this issue on my '13 JK. I haven't noticed the noise when cold but will listen on my way home.

I'm not sure how Jeep/ChryCo issues TSB/Recall notices and am debating if I should wait for a definitive diagnosis on this issue. I don't want to be down a vehicle for longer than necessary if the dealer needs to test multiple items for the fix.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by null
+1 on this issue on my '13 JK. I haven't noticed the noise when cold but will listen on my way home.

I'm not sure how Jeep/ChryCo issues TSB/Recall notices and am debating if I should wait for a definitive diagnosis on this issue. I don't want to be down a vehicle for longer than necessary if the dealer needs to test multiple items for the fix.
get a rental and stop stressing - lol if its covered under warranty they should give you one for free. plus you will really want them to have the time to diagnose the issue, because the reality is that you cannot make a diagnosis by posting a thread about a "chirping" sound and then just sit back and wait for all the forum "experts" to chime in with their diagnosis
Old 06-15-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Update...so the day before I'm supposed to take the jeep in to get the alternator replaced, I get a call from the service manager. He said he looked up the symptoms on the "shop computer" and they suggested a new water pump. Well duh. And he said there is a national backorder. Um yeah because so many of us need them replaced. Oh well now the waiting begins. Hopefully it won't be too long.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

I have a '13 I bought at Allen Samuels in North Richland Hills Texas. I have 4000 miles on it took it in last Saturday told the service manager I thought it was the water pump due to reading about it on the forums. He said he had seen two others so far and it was the water pump. They put a new one on my Jeep and its been a week with no noise. Hmmm, guess it was the water pump and the info on the forums was money!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:58 PM
THW
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lulu2533
Update...so the day before I'm supposed to take the jeep in to get the alternator replaced, I get a call from the service manager. He said he looked up the symptoms on the "shop computer" and they suggested a new water pump. Well duh. And he said there is a national backorder. Um yeah because so many of us need them replaced. Oh well now the waiting begins. Hopefully it won't be too long.
Any idea how long the back order will take? I've been waiting about 2 weeks and still chirping away. The sound is driving me nuts!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:01 AM
JK Freak

No idea...I was hoping a few weeks.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 AM
THW
JK Newbie

I just called the dealer after waiting about 3 weeks. Turns out the pump "should be in by Wednesday," which I assume means "it has been here for a week and we forgot to call you, and we won't have a bay open until Wednesday." Freakin dealerships.

Quick Reply: water pump chirping...um, no it's your alternator