Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird front end noise after offroading

Old 09-21-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I pretty much have a stock 07 automatic unlimited x 4dr. So i found myself at a beach last night with lots of offroad trails. I was flying around the trails baja style and hit a pothole really hard and my front end started making a noise The noise sounds like as if the inner plastic of my wheel well is rubbing against my tire treads. But i check and there is no noise. The noise ONLy happens when i hit a bump or the front end compresses. Also happens if i step on the brakes too hard and the front end compresses. Does anyone know what this would possibly be? I can not see eanything wrong after inspecting the underneath of the jeep

Last edited by techhnyne; 09-21-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd, are you sure your driving a Jeep?

It sounds like your MOPAR 68229211AA - MOPAR® Front Drive Shaft Boot Kit for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 09-21-2015, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Check both of your front shocks. Could have torn a boot/cover on the shock. Also check for any obvious damage, you could have blown a shock out hitting the pothole. The shock piston could be hitting the side walls of the shock. Or like stated ^^^^^^^^
Old 09-21-2015, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome thanks for tips. I will be looking into all these options
Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

So my next door neighbor is a nissan mechanic and says he thinks it is a transfer case issue. He is unsure because he does not know jeeps well but he believes that while offroading one wheel spun faster then the other and cause damage to my transfer case. What would you guys think? Also can i find aftermarket parts to rebuild transfer case?
Old 09-24-2015, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

That sounds a bit silly. Check for a loose brake line, something hanging, something jammed in the rim.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

I would be a little weary on going straight to the transfer case. Check the other areas first. Rebuilding a transfer case is not that bad, but I would not want to do that to find out that I have a shot u-joint or something small.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrdchiropractic@yahoo.com
That sounds a bit silly. Check for a loose brake line, something hanging, something jammed in the rim.
there is absolutely nothing visible. It sounds like its coming from right under the dash on the center of the truck. I will be changing suspension to a liftkit soon and maybe that might fix it. But i was under the car and can not find anything wrong
Old 09-24-2015, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

It sounds like rotation. A universal joint on a drive shaft. But not the front because the noise comes from behind the front drive shaft area
Old 09-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you suspect the driveshaft then remove it and see if you can replicate the noise.

Simply from your other threads, if you intend to beat inn the vehicle and cover the engine in 1" of mud then you're going to need to really brush up on what makes the world go round under your hood. You don't want to be out playing, break something, then wait for a neighbor or the forum to fix it before you can play again.

Quick Reply: Weird front end noise after offroading