Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What u-joint for Dana 44 front axle? Do you carry spares with you on the trail?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What u-joint for Dana 44 front axle? Do you carry spares with you on the trail?

In preparing for my next desert trip, I considered getting a spare U-joint to have, just in case.

I was at the dealer for the heated mirror safety recall for my '12 JKUR, so stopped at the parts counter and when the less-than-helpful clerk entered my VIN number, he came up with 2 different part numbers and couldn't tell me which one was the one I wanted.

After searching on-line for several minutes, I see that there are lots of conflicting posts about whether the U-joint is the same or different for Dana 30 vs 44. For a '12 Rubicon, does anyone have a part number for 3rd party suppliers? Can you confirm that they are different for the 44 for this year vehicle?

Also, I came across the following post from 2007 from the Quadratech advisor:
"Dont worry about carrying spare U joints, when the joint breaks It's going to take out the entire shaft as all the ones I've seen break so far have toasted the ears on the outer stubb and inner shaft. I'd suggest getting complete shaft assemblies from your local dealer and carrying them with you."

Do you agree with this advice? No point in buying and carrying a $60-100 part if it won't do me any good to attempt a trail repair.

Last edited by Grand Umpah; 04-08-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I carry whole shafts. Much easier faster if it does go out and as mentioned it can really mangle the ears.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:32 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even assuming the ears managed not to get damaged, unless you plan on bringing a press or a vice with a 10ft lever on it for leverage with you out on the trail, you're gonna have a hell of time getting those on. Make sure to pack extra beer
Old 04-08-2015, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Before I had RCV's I carried compete shafts for spares.

I actually did see a front U Joint go out where the driver stopped just in time to save the shaft ears. But that probably happens 1 in a 100 times.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Spicer 5-7166X 1350 Series is the u joint I used for my 10 Rubi

I would hate to change one on the trail!
Old 04-09-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider
Spicer 5-7166X 1350 Series is the u joint I used for my 10 Rubi

I would hate to change one on the trail!
So would I. If someone thinks they might, though (I've seen it happen), one of these could prove useful ...

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/pr...lD-Vise/Towing
Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
So would I. If someone thinks they might, though (I've seen it happen), one of these could prove useful ...

Trail D-Vise - a portable vise for use anywhere
I've got one. Still would prefer to swap out the shaft instead
Old 04-09-2015, 12:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1

I've got one. Still would prefer to swap out the shaft instead
Yep. Lot easier. Or just pull the shaft, plug the hole with a rag, and limp home in 2WD.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Or just pull the shaft, plug the hole with a rag, and limp home in 2WD.
Never having had to even contemplate such a thing, can you give me a summary of the steps?
Is it remove the tire, loosen the 35mm axle nut, remove brake caliper and disc, pull the axle, plug the hole, and then reverse to install and pray you make it home?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2015, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
Never having had to even contemplate such a thing, can you give me a summary of the steps?
Is it remove the tire, loosen the 35mm axle nut, remove brake caliper and disc, pull the axle, plug the hole, and then reverse to install and pray you make it home?

Thanks
You will most likely have to remove the speed sensor, and the 3 bolts that hold the unit bearing also to get the axle pieces out. Its really not that hard like 20/30 minutes if you have all the right tools.

Quick Reply: What u-joint for Dana 44 front axle? Do you carry spares with you on the trail?