Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why do I sometimes have to crank my JK 3-4 seconds before it starts?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I sometimes have to crank my JK 3-4 seconds before it starts?

Most of the time it fires right up, but once in a while I have to crank it a few seconds. Once it's started, it runs great. It's a 2007 Sahara with 59,000 miles that I just bought a couple months ago. I thought before I started trying stuff that I would ask you knowledgeable jeep goers. I pulled one plug and it didn't appear to be bad.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:53 AM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chbg17201
Most of the time it fires right up, but once in a while I have to crank it a few seconds. Once it's started, it runs great. It's a 2007 Sahara with 59,000 miles that I just bought a couple months ago. I thought before I started trying stuff that I would ask you knowledgeable jeep goers. I pulled one plug and it didn't appear to be bad.
Probably the longer it sits enough pressure isn't being maintained and/or fuel in the system is leaking back causing the delay when you start it.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kik
Probably the longer it sits enough pressure isn't being maintained and/or fuel in the system is leaking back causing the delay when you start it.
I see, is this a common problem with the 3.8L?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kik
I see, is this a common problem with the 3.8L?
No. But if it is the problem, and there are no external fuel system leaks, you may need a new fuel pump module.
Is the problem related to how long it sits between runs?

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-22-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

You do wait for the idiot lights to go out, right?
During that time you should hear your fuel pump kick on and prime the injectors. Also you'll hear the relays actuate if you have the windows down for pre-ignition..... ummm.... something or other, can't remember what it's called right now.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by grim_creation
You do wait for the idiot lights to go out, right?
During that time you should hear your fuel pump kick on and prime the injectors. Also you'll hear the relays actuate if you have the windows down for pre-ignition..... ummm.... something or other, can't remember what it's called right now.
No, I didn't know there was a wait time. I thought that was only diesels
Old 10-22-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
No. But if it is the problem, and there are no external fuel system leaks, you may need a new fuel pump module.
Is the problem related to how long it sits between runs?
Yes and no. It always starts quickly if it has just been run. The only time it does it is if it sits for at least a few hours, but not every time. Sometimes it can sit 2 days and start right up.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

No, I didn't know there was a wait time. I thought that was only diesels
It's not as long as diesels, but it's there. Most factory service manuals will tell you to turn to the "ON" position and wait for the lights to go out before ignition.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grim_creation
It's not as long as diesels, but it's there. Most factory service manuals will tell you to turn to the "ON" position and wait for the lights to go out before ignition.
Not like that on our 07JKU. Just hit the key once and let it go. I think it's called tip-start or something like that. It starts right away today just like it did back in Oct 06. BTW, ours is an auto, so if yours is a manual my post is a moot point.

Last edited by Lorrel; 10-22-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

There is no wait time. Insert key; turn to start. The manuals may tell you to observe the various lights before starting, but that has nothing to do with waiting for any other reason.
Also, a properly operating fuel delivery system stays pressurized, even with the engine off.

Quick Reply: Why do I sometimes have to crank my JK 3-4 seconds before it starts?