Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why do people even purchase jeeps?

Old 04-17-2016, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I purchased a Jeep because I like 4WD SUV vehicles and when I went to buy my next new vehicle I really wanted to buy a convertible. So instead of deciding between having a convertible OR a 4WD SUV, I was able to not settle for that either or scenario. I was able to buy the ONLY 4WD Convertible SUV vehicle available.

Now that I've owned it, I'm hooked. My next new vehicle will be a Wrangler also.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Jeep because Ive always wanted one... I have always had full size trucks or SUVs. The only real issue I have, is the lack of cargo capacity. Once I pickup a trailer hitch and a little utility trailer that should be taken care of. Honestly this vehicle is my 1st ever Jeep, and I have to say it is my favorite vehicle I've ever had except my old hot rod Nova. I LOVE the fact that I can drop the top and loose the doors and enjoy the FL sun!

I think I'm a Jeep guy for life!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Because it's the most manly piece of machinery on the planet. I have a BMW M4 as my fun weekend car, which drives much better than the jk on the road (as expected), but to me the wrangler is so much more fun. I live in the northeast, so it's great when a winter storm comes and i look at my jeep with a 'challenge accepted' mindset.

Last edited by jeffe; 04-21-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I first bought a jeep so that I did not put so many miles on my Raptor. It's supercharged, and is a ton of fun to drive, but also very collectible, or will be soon.
So my wife and I went on a hunt. First, it was a Toyota Tacoma. Nice little truck, but really, kind of boring. The dealer tried to pull stupid dealer tricks, and the second day we owned it, we dropped it off at the dealer with instructions where to put the truck. It helped that when we dropped it off, we were really going in to give them a check. By the time we walked off the lot, we were getting offers of a Brand new truck, at a price that was WELL below invoice.
We ended up at the Ford dealer, because I like Fords. I looked at a Mustang Cobra, but my wife had a problem with me having two fast cars. I have had a single speeding ticket in the past twenty years, so obviously, I am a speed demon.
On the way home, I was going past another car dealer row, and saw the jeep dealer. We stopped in at 8:30 at night. Found a nice used two door jeep, and bought it, and were out the door by 9:15 on a Friday night. Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-23 21.31.35.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	644490
By 8:00 Saturday morning, I was at my favorite shop ordering wheels, tires and a lift. It was on Monday afternoon. Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-05 12.01.33.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	584.5 KB
ID:	644491
I drove for a year like that, but I honestly got tired of the short wheel based ride, and the cloth interior, and the generally cheapness of the jeep. I am used to nicer vehicles. I have owned a minimum of a Lariat F250 for the past 20 years. The cloth seats, etc. weren't cutting it for me. I thought about it, went to Moab with it a couple of times, and did local runs every month, at a minimum. I liked the four wheeling, but the jeep, just wasn't.quite.right.
I decided I wanted a JKU. I wanted a Rubicon, and shopped and shopped. I also wanted something newer than a 2012. I shopped all over, looked at Craigslist and other sources, and could not find a jeep that I felt was a fair value for what was being offered. Every single one of them was only a couple thousand dollars less than a brand new one, with a full warranty.
I finally went to a dealer to shop for a new jeep. I developed my budget for accessories, and figured that I wanted to spend about $60k on the jeep, when it was all said and done.
When I got to the dealership, I found a Hard Rock JKU that had everything I was looking for. It looked good, had the right gearing, etc. I could not be happier with the jeep I bought.
I bought it, ordered the Metal Cloak lift for it. I had Letzroll Offroad install the lift and skid plates on it on a Thursday, and went to Moab the following Tuesday, after breaking in the lift and having stuff torqued down that weekend. That was our most fun Moab trip. Of course, part of it is that I got to go with my wife.
turns out that the jeep that I bought originally as something to not put miles on the Raptor is usually my preferred ride. Who knew?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-19 08.28.19.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	644492  
Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Very simple question to answer...>BECAUSE THEY FRICKIN ROCK!.....simple.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Az scooter
Turns out that the jeep that I bought originally as something to not put miles on the Raptor is usually my preferred ride. Who knew?
I was looking at a Raptor before I decided on my JK. They are a Great machine and very capable. I just did not like the IFS in the front and that was the deal breaker.

Sounds like a [Drew Bledsoe / Tom Brady] Story. The backup QB became the Starter and the best one!!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I was looking at a Raptor before I decided on my JK. They are a Great machine and very capable. I just did not like the IFS in the front and that was the deal breaker.

Sounds like a [Drew Bledsoe / Tom Brady] Story. The backup QB became the Starter and the best one!!!!
I look at Raptors and Jeeps like sex. A Raptor is fast and furious like you were in your mid 20's. You get there, have a blast doing it, and are totally out of breath once you get there. Then you are ready to do it all over again.
A jeep, you take it slow and easy, enjoy the bumps and get there eventually, enjoy overcoming the obstacles, and don't necessarily turn around and do it again, because you know the next time will be just as good, with just a few different bumps along the way.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Az scooter
I look at Raptors and Jeeps like sex. A Raptor is fast and furious like you were in your mid 20's. You get there, have a blast doing it, and are totally out of breath once you get there. Then you are ready to do it all over again.
A jeep, you take it slow and easy, enjoy the bumps and get there eventually, enjoy overcoming the obstacles, and don't necessarily turn around and do it again, because you know the next time will be just as good, with just a few different bumps along the way.

Get these and some Hydro Bump stops and you can Drive it like the Raptor. I love my Fox 2.0 with Reservoirs and Adjusters. I drive it like a sports car on bumpy dirt roads now. Its one of my favorite mods to date.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Extended.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	644561   Click image for larger version

Name:	LSC_Adjuster.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	644562   Click image for larger version

Name:	All4.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	644563  
Old 04-21-2016, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Get these and some Hydro Bump stops and you can Drive it like the Raptor. I love my Fox 2.0 with Reservoirs and Adjusters. I drive it like a sports car on bumpy dirt roads now. Its one of my favorite mods to date.
But at the end of the day, the Jeep Wrangler was not factory prepped for it, raptor was! And although, HD axles, coil overs and suspension and large tires help , have you ever actually been in a raptor on a crazy pitted and wavy road?

My phone also doesn't show me anything, what were you referencing with these?
Old 04-22-2016, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

The pic is of Fox reservoir shocks.
As for putting them on my jeep. I promise that they are not the same, not even close. I have a bit of standing to say that, since I have both.

Quick Reply: Why do people even purchase jeeps?