Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will ETC burn up my rear brakes in the sand?

Old 01-18-2017, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks for the further explanation. Usually when the 1st snow fall hits, I go out to a large parking lot, turn off the traction control and do some semi donuts, just to get used to driving in snow again. I never seemed to have a hard time swinging the back end around with the traction control off while in 2WD, but I guess I never really continued to give it gas to continue to go around in circles as well, so I really never noticed the traction control kicking back on while it was off. I guess I was doing more of the Duke's of hazard 180-270 deg whip around than trying to do a full 360+ deg donut.

I'll be doing Silver lake this upcoming summer which is sand. From what I've read, most have said for sand is to put it in 4WD Hi, turn off traction control, and air down your tires. That's why the need for this ETC kill switch seemed kind of strange to me.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-18-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks for the further explanation. Usually when the 1st snow fall hits, I go out to a large parking lot, turn off the traction control and do some semi donuts, just to get used to driving in snow again. I never seemed to have a hard time swinging the back end around with the traction control off while in 2WD, but I guess I never really continued to give it gas to continue to go around in circles as well, so I really never noticed the traction control kicking back on while it was off. I guess I was doing more of the Duke's of hazard 180-270 deg whip around than trying to do a full 360+ deg donut. I'll be doing Silver lake this upcoming summer which is sand. From what I've read, most have said for sand is to put it in 4WD Hi, turn off traction control, and air down your tires. That's why the need for this ETC kill switch seemed kind of strange to me.
for deep soft sand, auto transmissions can get hot if not in 4LO. Lots of posts from people with pre-2012 getting the hot oil light on. From 2012, the auto trans got a much more effective cooler.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So can you provide instructions on how to wire the switch?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jk1789
So can you provide instructions on how to wire the switch?
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...riteup-260247/
Old 01-20-2017, 10:34 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Default No switch, no problem.

No added switch on mine, no problems in the dunes. Using the disable switch (long press) on the dash is usually advantageous if using 4HI. I've never noticed the BLD portion of traction control causing excess brake activity or wear -- Just did brakes at 75K and they could have went to 100K.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141023_164316_BigDune.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	665062

Name:	20141023_163201_BigDune.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	665061

Name:	20141023_165941_BigDune.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	665060

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-20-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

I hooked up a switch when I bought my 2012 JK. It is much nicer to drive a JK like a real Jeep. I don't turn it back on except for in inspection. I am very disappointed in this new technology. My older Jeeps are much better at being Jeeps. If you hold the traction control button down for 7 seconds in 4hi, you will turn off the systems if you keep it below 45mph. It will say ECS OFF on the dash. In sand you want 4hi to keep up your wheel speed.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:55 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Here's a couple interesting links on the subject:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...9/#post4215306
There's a cool video of snow drifting with just the normal ESC off (hold ESP button for 5 seconds).

JK ESP modes - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR
This is an 2014 update to a JP magazine article. The table showing what's active in each mode makes it easier to understand -- Jeep should have put a table like this in the manual.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How is this switch different than just turning off traction control with the existing on/off button while in 4hi?
You can use the switch in 2wd for the dunes snow or what ever you want. You can't turn it off by pushing the button while in 2wd. It's not just the traction control it's the ESP and ABS and the traction control.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the further explanation. Usually when the 1st snow fall hits, I go out to a large parking lot, turn off the traction control and do some semi donuts, just to get used to driving in snow again. I never seemed to have a hard time swinging the back end around with the traction control off while in 2WD, but I guess I never really continued to give it gas to continue to go around in circles as well, so I really never noticed the traction control kicking back on while it was off. I guess I was doing more of the Duke's of hazard 180-270 deg whip around than trying to do a full 360+ deg donut.

I'll be doing Silver lake this upcoming summer which is sand. From what I've read, most have said for sand is to put it in 4WD Hi, turn off traction control, and air down your tires. That's why the need for this ETC kill switch seemed kind of strange to me.
You shouldn't need 4wd for the dunes. It's mainly air pressure and traction. 10-12psi and a locker will do wonders.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by cedarraider
You can use the switch in 2wd for the dunes snow or what ever you want. You can't turn it off by pushing the button while in 2wd. It's not just the traction control it's the ESP and ABS and the traction control.
ESP is the combination of Traction control and ABS. They're not 3 different items. I'm also not understanding why turning off ABS would have any benefit.

ESP: Electronic Stability Program. If your vehicle has ESP® on board, it provides you with two other active safety systems: the Antilock Braking System ABS and the Traction Control System TCS. ABS prevents the wheels from locking during braking; TCS prevents the wheels from spinning when starting off and accelerating.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-22-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Will ETC burn up my rear brakes in the sand?