Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Would a loose oil filter spray oil everywhere?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a loose oil filter spray oil everywhere?

Last night I came out to a decent size puddle under my jeep, so I check the oil and its down a little bit, so I topped off and went to walmart to grab some more spare oil.

At walmart I noticed some more oil around the filter so I grabbed it and was able to turn it a little bit, but not a significent amount.

This morning there was no more oil under my jeep, and the oil level looks good.

Here are some pics, the part that really confused me is how it could possibly get on the front of my bumper, inside the fenders, on the backs of my front tires and all over the front suspension components

Since it was dark out I could not really pinpoint where the oil was coming from, but from the top looking down, it looked like it was coming from below somewhere since everything above the pan was clean.

Here are a few pictures to show what I am talking about. Maybe I will bring her in to get it checked out. Can't really hurt and I would hate to do any damage.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:38 AM
Ray
JK Newbie

Default Yep

Make sure you tighten them filters !!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray
Make sure you tighten them filters !!!!!
It must have loosened up over time, I am due for an oil change, so I will make sure its tighter next time
Old 04-28-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes. It can get everywhere. It is under pressure and with a filter that's a little loose it will really spray. Whoever replaced your filter did a poor job. Filters don't just get loose "over time". It wasn't put on properly so make sure you inform whoever changed your oil last to pay attention to what they're doing. It could cause real damage if you lose oil pressure on the highway or out in the back country.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jgkjeep
Also make sure the gasket is in place and you don't have an extra gasket.

I changed the oil in my wife's car once and didn't notice the old gasket stuck to the engine. So I put the new filter on and start the car and it sprayed everywhere.
Definitely check this... I did this on my JK and it almost met its demise. It didn't spray everywhere on startup, so when I checked it after the change thought it was fine.

It didn't start spraying oil until I had driven 3 miles and had the oil psi high enough to spray it, i guess. I was down to 1/2 qt or so by the time the oil lamp lit up and ding 3 times and I got pulled over.

Probably saved by my mobil 1 synthetic.... did another change (talk about waste of $30-40) and its been fine since...

And yes, oil was EVERYWHERE from the front tires to exhaust.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

One time I was changing my oil in a rush and Drained took off the filter then replaced the filter and oil. I cranked the engine and heard alot of noise so I shut it down. I slid underneath to discover the old gasket around the filter stuck up in the placement and now I had two gaskets. Double check this to make sure.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am sure the old sneaky gasket has got us all. I had this happen on a Honda civic (2001) once. I always crank the engine to run a minute or two before I leave the shop. When I did oil was agushin, and with all the tight space to have under that hood I was freain a bit. I found it out quick and swtiched it up and all was ok. That Honda has 152,000 miles on it now and has never had an issue at all. I have the factory recomended services done and I have replaced the catalytic converter (mostly b/c the shop we took it to said it was bad, I did not want to pay them $800 to fix it, and it would not run the way it was. I proceded to poke a hole through the cat so i could get home. guess what it was not the Cat it was a sensor.) but if you caught it early it should be good. JOE>
Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Yup loose stuff will let fluids leak out. The biggest failures associated with oil filters are:

1. Wasn't on tight enough. Hand tight is tight enough, it will tighten more as it heats up, but it needs to be snug to begin with. After a couple of miles after an oil change, it isn't a bad idea to just peek under there to see if it is tight.
2. No rubber seal. Just double check when you put it on.
3. Multiple rubber seals. Sometimes they cling to the engine when you take the filter off. Look at the old filter and make sure an old one isn't clinging to the engine when you wipe it clean when changing the filter.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jgkjeep
Also make sure the gasket is in place and you don't have an extra gasket.

I changed the oil in my wife's car once and didn't notice the old gasket stuck to the engine. So I put the new filter on and start the car and it sprayed everywhere.

Did the exact same thing with my JK. Oil everywhere...

Not to mention the cost of having to replace the oil again immediately.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unhappy

I just did two oil changes on my JK...

The first one was with 6 qts of Amsoil. The second one was with 3 qts of Amsoil and 2 qts of mobile.

Oil was -everywhere- in our driveway, running down the sidewalk gutter, on the front bumper, everywhere in the engine bay, even the bottom of the hood.

I took the new filter off and damned if I hadn't left the old rubber gasket on. GRRRR.

I'm about to tighten the heck out of the new filter. I tightened it by hand and then gave it a little extra with a wrench, but after letting it idle for a minute I noticed a small drip starting to form along the bottom of the seal. I'm not taking any chances this time...

Quick Reply: Would a loose oil filter spray oil everywhere?