Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problem with Expedition One bumper...

Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Expedition One bumper...

I had to re-tighten my Expedition One tire carrier twice since installing it this summer, and recently noted a mis-alignment in the joint during inspection. The top bearing assembly was squished on one side, and the bearings looked about ready to pop out. After removing the carrier, is had to massage the bearing assembly back into shape. I contacted Expedition One (e-mail with pictures etc.), and they said a top race was missing and probably fell out during powder coat. They offered to send me the top race, which I'd have to tap in. When I mentioned the bearing assembly - especially the top one - should be replaced, well, that was pushing things too far it seems! The missing top race should be on the way, but still no promised tracking number from them, and no info on the proper install of the top race either. I'll have to find my own replacement bearing assemblies. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised - their install docs were a good clue to their level of commitment I guess. Nice bumper and all, but QC and after sales service are (unfortunately) not so great.

js.

Last edited by jsmoriss; 12-02-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Expedition One Basic DX front bumper with the side wings. James and Sarah were both extremely helpful for me. Why don't you just try the race and see how it goes? I'm sure they'll make it right if they need to. Those rear bumpers aren't cheap. I'm thinking about one myself. I'll keep watching this and see how it turns out. Keep us posted.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
I had to re-tighten my Expedition One tire carrier twice since installing it this summer, and recently noted a mis-alignment in the joint during inspection. The top bearing assembly was squished on one side, and the bearings looked about ready to pop out. After removing the carrier, is had to massage the bearing assembly back into shape. I contacted Expedition One (e-mail with pictures etc.), and they said a top race was missing and probably fell out during powder coat. They offered to send me the top race, which I'd have to tap in. When I mentioned the bearing assembly - especially the top one - should be replaced, well, that was pushing things too far it seems! The missing top race should be on the way, but still no promised tracking number from them, and no info on the proper install of the top race either. I'll have to find my own replacement bearing assemblies. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised - their install docs were a good clue to their level of commitment I guess. Nice bumper and all, but QC and after sales service are (unfortunately) not so great.

js.
I just got my rear bumper, installed it, and have had some issues with their customer service already...would you mind pm'ing the photos you took? I would like to see what you are referring to, if you don't mind. Thanks.

You'd definitely think for the price they could include the 7 printed pages of instructions in the box...but that's just me...

Last edited by glwood6; 12-02-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by glwood6
I just got my rear bumper, installed it, and have had some issues with their customer service already...would you mind pm'ing the photos you took? I would like to see what you are referring to, if you don't mind. Thanks.

You'd definitely think for the price they could include the 7 printed pages of instructions in the box...but that's just me...
I don't mind the docs online, but they could have finished them by now (I installed mine a few months ago).

Which way did you install the top bearing assembly? If I installed mine pointing down, there was too much clearance between the bearing assembly and the carrier, so the mount was sloppy. If I installed it pointing up (as pictured bellow), the mount was stable, but the nut & washer would not reach down far enough to tighten against the bearing assembly (shown bellow also).

So, if you installed it like this, you have a problem:

It's little hard to see, but a lot of the grease on the top bearing assembly is dark gray from excessive wear. I'm going to replace the top bearings because I expect they'll fall apart eventually. I had to push the bearings back into their slots.

js.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

I don't mind the docs online, but they could have finished them by now (I installed mine a few months ago).

Which way did you install the top bearing assembly? If I installed mine pointing down, there was too much clearance between the bearing assembly and the carrier, so the mount was sloppy. If I installed it pointing up (as pictured bellow), the mount was stable, but the nut & washer would not reach down far enough to tighten against the bearing assembly (shown bellow also).

So, if you installed it like this, you have a problem:

It's little hard to see, but a lot of the grease on the top bearing assembly is dark gray from excessive wear. I'm going to replace the top bearings because I expect they'll fall apart eventually. I had to push the bearings back into their slots.

js.
Sorry that I cannot remember exactly, but I'm 90% sure that when I was putting everything together initially to check the fit of the bearings on the spindle, I had the top bearing on the way your photo shows, but in looking at the hub going on, I realized it was upside down. So I turned the top bearing over the other way I'm almost sure, and it looked right and fit right.

So I put the grease seal on the spindle first, then greased up the bottom bearing and put it on like your photo. Then I put the hub on the spindle, made sure it was bottomed on the bearing, then greased up the top bearing and slid it down on the spindle and into the hub, opposite of your photo's top bearing.

I then proceeded to put the washer and nut on and tightened it down; after that the billet cap, and it all seemed to work as supposed to...does that help?

When Expedition One said 'a top race was missing', what exactly did they mean? Would that have affected the way the top bearing seemed sloppy when you put it on the other way? I guess I'm not sure what a 'top race' is...

Last edited by glwood6; 12-02-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by glwood6
So I put the grease seal on the spindle first, then greased up the bottom bearing and put it on like your photo. Then I put the hub on the spindle, made sure it was bottomed on the bearing, then greased up the top bearing and slid it down on the spindle and into the hub, opposite of your photo's top bearing.

I then proceeded to put the washer and nut on and tightened it down; after that the billet cap, and it all seemed to work as supposed to...does that help?
Sounds like your carrier is ok.

When Expedition One said 'a top race was missing', what exactly did they mean? Would that have affected the way the top bearing seemed sloppy when you put it on the other way? I guess I'm not sure what a 'top race' is...
Here's what a top race looks like:

It's a $3.50 piece.

Expedition One sent me a long e-mail this morning concerned about this thread, wanting more pictures and PROOF that I need new bearing assemblies. A bearing assembly is $7.00.

They also mentioned I might be missing the bottom race. Another $3.50.

I don't get the customer service of some companies... If I can get the part numbers from Expedition One, I'll buy them myself. It'll be faster and whole lot easier! It's getting damn cold up here, and I don't want to fix my tire carrier in 2 feet of snow.

js.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like your carrier is ok.

Here's what a top race looks like:

It's a $3.50 piece.

Expedition One sent me a long e-mail this morning concerned about this thread, wanting more pictures and PROOF that I need new bearing assemblies. A bearing assembly is $7.00.

They also mentioned I might be missing the bottom race. Another $3.50.

I don't get the customer service of some companies... If I can get the part numbers from Expedition One, I'll buy them myself. It'll be faster and whole lot easier! It's getting damn cold up here, and I don't want to fix my tire carrier in 2 feet of snow.

js.
Just take the bearings to a local NAPA store and they can match them up. The numbers are probably on the bearings somewhere. I've never known bearings not to have part numbers. What was that bumper? Over a grand??? And they are fussin over ten bucks worth of bearings and races?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
What was that bumper? Over a grand??? And they are fussin over ten bucks worth of bearings and races?
Yeah, I know, hard to believe.

Some companies have built a reputation with jerking their clients around - this seems like one more. Other companies, like AEV, bend over backwards to make things right. It's unfortunate that I couldn't wait for AEV's rear bumper.

js.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Very interested in this thread....

I installed their rear bumper over the past couple weeks. My frustrations came with things not completely being in the initial package, but they promptly took care of that.

I have had my tire carrier mounted since last Saturday, and have it on the way you show in the pictures in this thread. It seems sturdy and to pivot fine, but there was a lack of pictures and several "assumptions" that had to be made to get it installed this way.

1) I do not have any 'race' parts, and I really do not understand what their purpose is. Are they pieces that are supposed to be in the actual hub? Maybe mine are still in there and because they were not separate I didn't notice them?

2) Are you saying that the top bearing as pictured is installed upside down? If so, I have mine installed incorrectly.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Big Clint
2) Are you saying that the top bearing as pictured is installed upside down? If so, I have mine installed incorrectly.
It's installed incorrectly. And I expect you're also missing the top (and probably bottom) race. There should be two race "rings" in the tire carrier's hub - mine were missing. After a while, that top bearing cone will become deformed and your tire carrier will start banging against the door. I re-tightened mine 2-3 times, each time squishing that top bearing even more. I'm waiting for all five part numbers (top race, top bearing, bottom race, bottom bearing, and grease seal) from Expedition One so I can order them online. Since yours was installed recently, your bearings are probably ok. I'll let you know when I get the part numbers.

js.

Quick Reply: Problem with Expedition One bumper...