Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front bumpers, air bag compatible??

Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front bumpers, air bag compatible??

I have a 2008 JK Sahara 4 door and am looking to upgrade the front bumper. I see prices from 300 to 1000 range. I came across the ARB front bumper that is "air bag compatible". My questions is this, the other brands that are out there are not ? What the heck is the difference? Does that mean I will be safer with the ARB as opposed to another brand?

First time Jeep owner.

Thank you
Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ALL are compatible. ARB just advertises it. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe that is the case
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepairforce
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ALL are compatible. ARB just advertises it. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe that is the case
You are correct. ARB just has a better marketing scheme .
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blkjkchicago
I have a 2008 JK Sahara 4 door and am looking to upgrade the front bumper. I see prices from 300 to 1000 range. I came across the ARB front bumper that is "air bag compatible". My questions is this, the other brands that are out there are not ? What the heck is the difference? Does that mean I will be safer with the ARB as opposed to another brand?

First time Jeep owner.

Thank you
They are all air bag compatible as the sensor isnt in the bumper anyhow. I think there is ONE other company (maybe Arb) that adds "crush cans" that are supposed to stops your air bags from deploying in a slow speed situation. Dont worry about it. There are guys one here (including myself) that have made bumpers and we have heard nothing of early air bag deployment.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

I don't know about the JK but I do know a lot of passenger cars use speed sensors(speedo) to disable the air bags under 40 KM/H (25 MPH)to eliminate slow speed deployment. If you pull off your factory plastic bar you will see that there is a steel bar behind it, so putting an after market steel bar is just like having this without the plastic. It probably has more to do with pedestrian protection than air bags.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:06 PM
JK Freak

If they didn't serve a purpose, Jeep would not have put them in there. Period. They serve to absorb some of the impact in a low speed collision before the jeep itself does. My opinion would be why risk having the airbags deploy from something as unavoidable as having a Hummer back into their parking space fast and give your parked JK a serious knock? The accelerometers may not be intended to deploy until they sense say an 18mph crash, but the computer would be assuming the crush cans were in place. Seems at least possible that without them and a completely inflexible bumper you risk a deployment, that would pay for that extra $600 pretty quickly.

As far as the idea that "all of the bumpers are air bag compatible" then why don't they advertise them as such? Of the one and only thing one would want to leave stock, I would think airbags would have to be at or near the top of the list. Disable the ESP, you can drive more carefully. Remove the doors, you cross intersections with caution. Protect from a front end collision on a highway? 50% of it is up to somebody else.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

Airbag sensor will work with any bumpers. AEV and ARB bumpers are the only one to incorporate the crush cans, which will prevent airbag deployment at very low speed by absorbing the shock.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 AM
JK Freak

jeep mech said airbag sensor is in the middle of the vehicle. best bet would be don't park near anny soccer moms in their hummers...and don't drive into anything with your new aftermarket bumper
Old 04-28-2009, 03:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by somewhereinla
Airbag sensor will work with any bumpers. AEV and ARB bumpers are the only one to incorporate the crush cans, which will prevent airbag deployment at very low speed by absorbing the shock.
Thus the ARB and AEV front bumpers are the true airbag compatible bumpers.

Simply safer.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Default Mopar

Originally Posted by blkjkchicago

First time Jeep owner.

Thank you
heard the sensor is inside the vehicle and crush cans are supposed to reduce impact - but not sure how much 2 coffee cans will slow impact from a 3-5K vehicle?

check out the MOPAR bumper - most dealerships with give you a price well below aftermarket bumpers and the MOPARS look and perform great - no rubbing and they do have coffee cans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 jeep wrangler front bumper.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	23234  

Last edited by 69thunderbird; 04-29-2009 at 04:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Front bumpers, air bag compatible??