Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Project-JK 3rd Annual SoCal Newbie Run - Last Chance Canyon: 05/16/09

Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Project-JK 3rd Annual SoCal Newbie Run - Last Chance Canyon: 05/16/09

If you live in the SoCal area and are new to Jeeps or the sport of off-roading in general, we will be planning a newbie run/camping trip up Last Chance Canyon next Saturday, May 16th and we would love to have you join us. I will post more details as they develop but in the mean time, if you have any questions, please post them here so that everyone can benefit from the discussion. Likewise, if you think you can make it, please let us know by posting as much in this thread. That way we can get a head count and figure things out.

UPDATE 05/07/09: I just wanted to let you all know that we are now opening this run up to allow more newbies to come but just a few more and only under the condition that we can acquire more helpers as well. Please understand that the larger the group, the more slow going it can be so you will need to be patient with us.

Minimum Requirements
While the trail we will be running is easy enough for any stock JK to make it through, we will be requiring that all participants have front and rear tow points. While a CB is not manditory for this run, it is HIGHLY recommended.

Helpers
If you are coming as a helper, we are requiring you to come with recovery gear, tools and a CB.

Itinerary

Now, if you're planning to join us on this newbie run, this is what the plan is. Due to the large group we normally have for a run like this and the fact that people will be coming from multiple directions, we will be skipping our traditional breakfast meet-up and will just go straight to the Last Chance Canyon trail head and meet there at 10:00 AM. For those of you coming from the L.A. area, simply head north on I-5, take Highway 14 north and then just before you get to Red Rock State Park, make a right turn onto Redrock Randsburg Rd. From there, go exactly 6 miles and turn left onto the gravel road. While the trail is marked, it is quite hard to see from the road so you might want to set your GPS if you have one or reset your odometer once you've made your turn onto Redrock Randsburg Rd. Below is a Google map showing the location of the trailhead:

Last Chance Canyon Trailhead
N35 21.735 W117 53.904

So you all know, some of the things we will cover on this trip include instructions on the following topics:

1. Airing down your tires
2. Disconnecting your sway bar links
3. How to use your transfer case
4. How to use your lockers (if applicable)
5. How to pick a good line
6. Throttle control
7. General off-roading safety, tips and tricks

So far, the extended weather forcast is showing temps in the high 90's and lows in the upper 60's so please dress accordingly, bring additional layers just in case, bring a hat and bring sun screen. Snakes are out now so boots is a good idea to wear and if you are bringing kids, please make sure they are aware of the dangers of them. Of course, this is the desert and so WATER is critial. The general rule of thumb is a gallon per person per day and in my book, you know you have enough water when you come home with extra left over. If you are just coming for the day, please make sure to pack a lunch as well as some extra snacks just in case the day goes longer than expected. If you plan to camp with us, please provide for your own dinner and breakfast for the next day. Fires are allowed on BLM land so be sure to bring some wood.

Once again, I need to remind everyone that this is a NEWBIE run so we will be going slow, we will be making a lot of stops to take in the scenery/take photos and we will be spending time hanging out just to hang out. If you are looking for a hard core run that you can blow through, this will not be the run for you. Also, I would like to remind everyone that intends to come that while a cold one is something that a lot of us enjoy at the end of the day, drinking alcohol while wheeling is something that we do discourage. Also, most of the trail that we will be wheeling on is located within the boundries of a State Park and staying ON the trails is something that we do strongly encourage.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

OFFICIAL WHO'S GOING LIST:

1. WOLs - (Camping)
2. Team toad - (Helper/Camping)
3. SGT. EVIL (Helper/Camping)
4. serveapurpose (Helper)
5. joeski
6. steeleed
7. gonegoannas (camping) - wood
8. fish (Helper/Camping) - wood
9. JeepCruzer (camping)
10. sm_rubi
11. Pir8 Rob (camping)
12. JKFan (camping)
13. blazer4949
14. Slag
15. mm4x4
16. Moochie (camping)
17. Radcliffe1 (camping)
18. tomichicreek21 (camping) - wood
19. scottkathyrubi (camping)
20. LizardPizza
21. mituk (camping) - wood
22. JPSquad
23. commish4u
24. leojeeprn (camping)
25. yomondo (camping) - wood
26. Markinda909
27. Jmacaws
28. eggs4lunch
29. Beadbus
30. JK-5

Camping Only
1. doojers - wood

Maybe List
1. Grathus
2. JKGrrl/JKWillie
3. jkjunky

For those of you just joining us for the day, you can bail out and make your way to the 14 at the end of Last Chance Canyon or you can hang with us until we get to our camp spot. From there, you have a couple of easy options to get you back on the 395 or Red Rock Randsburg Rd.

Here's a shot from last year's newbie run....

and, more pics from it can be seen here:

Project-JK 2nd Annual Last Chance Canyon Newbie Run 2008

and, for those of you who are interested, here's a video from our run last year:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by toad; 05-15-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think I can make it back down for this one, but I hope everyone has a great time!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:40 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by toad
Can't wait!
for the record, this particular newbie run was started thanks to toad. of course, she's no longer the newbie she used to be
Old 05-05-2009, 11:04 PM
JK-Forum Founder

my oh my how the little tadpole has grown up to being such a fine toad
Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well now, if you need a helper, sign me up......

Otherwise give my spot to a newbie.....
Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
JK Freak

sign me up too i need to learn more
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by SGT. EVIL
Well now, if you need a helper, sign me up......

Otherwise give my spot to a newbie.....
cool, i just added you to the helper list if that's cool

Originally Posted by 08jk4door
sign me up too i need to learn more
no problem and this will be a whole lot of fun. ya gonna be camping with us?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Can you guys write down notes for 5 & 6. I am missing this for the third time!!!! I really need some learning on those points.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, let us know where you are camping! We can't make the run in the day, but we can get out there that evening and camp with you guys.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Add me as a helper.

Quick Reply: Project-JK 3rd Annual SoCal Newbie Run - Last Chance Canyon: 05/16/09