Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

No Random Play on 6-Disc Changer?

Old 11-27-2006, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Random Play on 6-Disc Changer?

Unless I'm completely blind or clueless, there does not appear to be any way to randomly play tracks on a disc with the new 6-disc changer? There is no RND button, and I couldn't find anything in the manual about it. This is a nice option to have when playing MP3s. Has anybody else figured how to do it yet, or is it really just not an option?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Only the single cd unit has a RND button. I had a 6 Disc MP3 unit in a SportTrac and it allowed random across all discs but it took forever to change discs.

The option I use now on my JK is to burn mp3's on DVD's with no folders and in random order. (Folders have a 200 song limit)

If something comes up I don't care to listen to I then hit Scan..this then plays each song for 5 or 6 seconds. If I like it I just hit scan again and it plays.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SJP-07JKx
Only the single cd unit has a RND button. I had a 6 Disc MP3 unit in a SportTrac and it allowed random across all discs but it took forever to change discs.

The option I use now on my JK is to burn mp3's on DVD's with no folders and in random order. (Folders have a 200 song limit)

If something comes up I don't care to listen to I then hit Scan..this then plays each song for 5 or 6 seconds. If I like it I just hit scan again and it plays.
This is very lame!!! I wish this would have been advertised -- oh boy, let's add a six disc option but take away basic functions! At a minimum, they should have allowed a random option for a single disc at a time.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by histrung
This is very lame!!! I wish this would have been advertised -- oh boy, let's add a six disc option but take away basic functions! At a minimum, they should have allowed a random option for a single disc at a time.
Yeah - I'm frustrated with this as well. If I re-order I will be removing the 6-disc option because of this. I don't think I've EVER seen a CD player without a single disc random function.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:05 PM
JK Junkie

Guys - I agree that it IS frustrating, but if you really don't want to know what song is coming up next, just throw on Sirius or FM...

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to burn my discs so that the JK's MP3 reader doesn't sort them all by track number (thus throwing all my albums out of whack). Any advice?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Guys - I agree that it IS frustrating, but if you really don't want to know what song is coming up next, just throw on Sirius or FM...

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to burn my discs so that the JK's MP3 reader doesn't sort them all by track number (thus throwing all my albums out of whack). Any advice?
I burn all my cds as MP3 cds... i usually get around 170 songs per CD and i have all my music saved by "Artist, Song title" so they just come up automatically in alphabetic order. Since there is no track number attached to the file. If you wanted to group it by genre, just save your files as "Genre, Artist, Song title" Example; Country, Trace Adkins, Chrome Then all your country songs will be grouped together and so forth. If you want to randomly create groups of music to sort, just throw numbers in front, say you wanted all of your wife's or g/f's music put together, throw a 1 in front of all her songs and a 2 in front of all yours. I used to do that when i wanted a certain song to be at the beginning of a cd so i could find it easy. Of course this can be very time consuming to go through 170 audio files that you'll be putting on your cd and rename all of them, but for me, as i load new files to my hard drive, i rename them then, and it usually works out good because it just alphabetizes them keeping all artists together, and their songs in easy to find order. Good luck, i hope i helped.

Last edited by yellowjeeper85; 03-09-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:26 PM
JK Junkie

I understand exactly what you're saying - make the JK's sorting work for you, using that method. Thanks very much - makes a lot of sense. Can I also burn albums to their own folders on the disc, and have them grouped together that way (and have one "folder" work as an album)?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

I understand exactly what you're saying - make the JK's sorting work for you, using that method. Thanks very much - makes a lot of sense. Can I also burn albums to their own folders on the disc, and have them grouped together that way (and have one "folder" work as an album)?
thats a good question, i've never tried folders on the JK, My TJ had a pioneer head unit in it and i used the folders sometimes, but it was kind of confusing on that head unit, so now i just stick to no folders and the rename game. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try using folders, and since it reads MP3 format, in theory it should work. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

So, I have the single disc with random play. Trust me, their version of "random" is not worth having anyway. On an mp3 cd with 130 tunes, it "randomly" plays the same 35 over and over again in slightly different order each time. NOT what I would call random. You are better off creating your cd from a playlist in your mp3 manager, and having that software randomize the order of the playlist before you burn the disc. At least this way you will get to hear all of the tunes you put on there.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Yes - if I understand your question correctly. I currently have an MP3 CD in mine (single disc CD player) and it contains around 5 folders each containing an album per folder. I then hit the "List" button on the head unit and turn the knob on the right to scroll through the folders. When I want to select an album, I just push in the button and it starts playing the first song from that album.

Hope this helps you out!

Quick Reply: No Random Play on 6-Disc Changer?