Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

So you thought 42's were BIG?!

Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So you thought 42's were BIG?!

I currently have 37's and am getting D60's and trying to decide if I should get bigger tires. I have seen alot of JK's with moderate 40's and a couple on 42's but I was wheeling at the Badlands and wheeled with a guy who had 47's on his!!!! IT WAS HUGE.

He isn't a member of the forum but may be after this. I encouraged him to check it out.

I am really questioning going bigger than 38-40 now though as his Jeep was too big and actually impeded him on several of the trails that I easily made.

Curious to hear other peoples opinions that have been here (theoretically) and wheel hard!

I mostly rock climb and stick to tecnical trails. (This guy loved the MUD!)

BTW... totally stock engine!!!

Here are some images:

I believe he owned this too!!!

Here is my rig the same day:

Old 08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That poor Jeep was for sale on ebay for months without any takers. It had been involved in a rollover before the then owner installed the exo-cage. It looks like they fixed it since then. I'll look for my pics from back then.

Edit....here is one that I just found......

Oh, and my 40's do just well

Last edited by JPTwinz; 08-12-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks, what did it sell for out of curiosity?

Here is a video of my trip last weekend
Old 08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poor little 3.8.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryanclimbs
thanks, what did it sell for out of curiosity?
It was listed at several price points multiple times on ebay and craigslist in Cali, AZ and NV. Last I saw it, the price was around the high 20's but it had a bunch of body damage on the passenger front and rear.

The thing is that with a 6" long arm lift and some extreme fenderwell cutting, almost anyone can fit 42"+ tires on their Jeep. It's just a matter of what you can do with the Jeep after you have done that. With the amount of lift I have, I could easily move up to 42" tires (space wise). But the extra stuff that now needs to be upgraded (more than it already has) moves the price point up ALOT. I guarantee that with 47" tires, playing in the mud in a straight line is prob the most that Jeep can do without stopping the tires on a body panel.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Uuuuhhh. Show and tell or jk talk? Its nice and all but this is a tech section.
We should keep it to tech, ya know what I mean.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guinness
Uuuuhhh. Show and tell or jk talk? Its nice and all but this is a tech section.
We should keep it to tech, ya know what I mean.
Sorry... but I think the question as to whether 42-47's are actually any benefit to 40's is a tech question...

My apologies if anyone cares... a moderator will move it if needed.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

awesome video man! what program did you edit it in? ...as for your tech Q, I dunno
Old 08-12-2009, 09:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
It was listed at several price points multiple times on ebay and craigslist in Cali, AZ and NV. Last I saw it, the price was around the high 20's but it had a bunch of body damage on the passenger front and rear.

The thing is that with a 6" long arm lift and some extreme fenderwell cutting, almost anyone can fit 42"+ tires on their Jeep. It's just a matter of what you can do with the Jeep after you have done that. With the amount of lift I have, I could easily move up to 42" tires (space wise). But the extra stuff that now needs to be upgraded (more than it already has) moves the price point up ALOT. I guarantee that with 47" tires, playing in the mud in a straight line is prob the most that Jeep can do without stopping the tires on a body panel.
Agreed

My JK has 42s and I can tell you that I'm not really gaining a hole lot from a 40" tire.. in my case maybe an inch or less...

Also your JK on 37s should flex much much much better then his. and that's due to bump stop..

from this Image on top I can tell you that he had to bump stop the hell out of it so that the tires don't hit the body or side cage..

If he intends to use for rocks I think it's gonna suck because of travel limitations... if he was to use it on mud then it also sucks because it's got a 3.8 engine in it... so it's not really gonna go anywhere!!

and that's why it was sitting on ebay for a long time... there's really no application for that jeep but a farm

I bet JPtwinz jeep would flex better than mine! or maybe not... his tires are too wide so I don't know
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea... the flex on my jeep w/37's is amazing. The Ultimate adventure stopped at our little hole in 2004 and only 2 vehicles back then could climb the waterfall (this 25 foot all rock super sick puckering climb). Mine goes right up if you aren't afraid to bump and go. The Jeep with 47's didn't make it 5 feet! Made really go hmmmm do I really want any larger tires on this jeep!!!