Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Some decent footwell lights.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some decent footwell lights.

well, i finally got tired of having no decent courtesy lighting/no footwell lights, so i made my own (since Jeep is too cheap to put them in anymore). the lights were about five bucks each at wal-mart in the automotive dept. i couldn't find a decent place to mount them since they were so big, so i got out the dremel and this is what i came up with:

here's the final product:

here's the el-cheapo light i bought at wal-mart:

i removed the plastic panel below the glovebox (i also did this on the driver side as well - the panels are the same). and traced the light onto the back of the panel, then cut it out and ground it out to make it fit with a dremel:

because of the curves of the light itself, it just stays in place with friction. you can see how much of the light is hidden behind the panel. this way, it doesn't get in the way and stick out looking ugly and out-of-place:

i wired these so they would turn on and off with the overhead dome light. the bundle of wires is located in the upper right corner of the passenger footwell:

just tap into the yellow wire with the white stripe - this is the wire that controls the dome light. this picture only shows one splice, but i did two of these - one for passenger and one for driver. i had to use these quick-splice clamp thingies (i don't remember their actual name) because there was too little room for me to get my big monkey arms up there to actually cut the wire and splice into it and use shrink wrap. i think these will work just fine, since i don't expect the wires to get wet, or be yanked on:

the final product. these almost look like they came from the factory this way:

sorry, no picture of the one on the driver side. it looks the same, except with a steering wheel above it, instead of a glove box.

they don't stick out too far and get in the way of anything. they are in the panel snug. there is plenty of room behind the panel for these lights. they are very bright and i angled them upwards just a tad to spread some light toward the center console (or your crotch, if you gotta itch).

this only took about an hour and definitely worth the time and small amount of money.

just thought i would share the idea.

Last edited by mcnaught6; 11-03-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks great... I like what you have done here! I'll add this to the to-do list!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Jeepers are so much more creative than most other car owners I've met!
Looks great... Nice work!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default Foot lights

Nice job, great idea. I think I'll hunt for some alittle smaller, but again solving another situation.

THANKS
Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

is that dome light wire positive or negative? I am doing this using some L brackets and a spade bulb from a brake light i had from a junk car. I will be putting them up under the dash
Old 11-05-2007, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by James76
is that dome light wire positive or negative? I am doing this using some L brackets and a spade bulb from a brake light i had from a junk car. I will be putting them up under the dash
it's positive.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Could you do me a fav and post that over on my resource thread?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/jk-resources-19439/ along with that picture
Old 01-01-2008, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

silly question, where did you attach the ground wire? just to any ground or was there a specific wire to be used?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice light
2 questions
i am assuming you just grounded the light in the corner with all the other grounds??
and question 2
i added a self dimming rearview mirror with map lights it has a 12 v power source allready to it but it has a wire that needs to be tapped into the door switch wire (to activate the map lights with the dome lights)
could you tell me what color that wire is
thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by naplesrubicon
nice light
2 questions
i am assuming you just grounded the light in the corner with all the other grounds??
and question 2
i added a self dimming rearview mirror with map lights it has a 12 v power source allready to it but it has a wire that needs to be tapped into the door switch wire (to activate the map lights with the dome lights)
could you tell me what color that wire is
thanks
use the same wire i used for these footwell lights.

Quick Reply: Some decent footwell lights.