Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

2 Door jeep and.... Two bows, two climbing stands, gear bags, out of room....

Old 09-12-2014, 04:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2 Door jeep and.... Two bows, two climbing stands, gear bags, out of room....

As titled, I have a two door JK soft top, and I have a buddy that wants to tag along on a hunt in a couple days. Well, obviously room is a premium already with just one hunter and gear, so double the load. I have a hitch rack which will hold maybe the climbers. I figure with the right application of tie downs, I can get all our crap there. BUT, what happens when we get a deer? Or two deers? LOL!!!!!

Just wondering what kind of solutions you guys have for similar scenarios. My last resort would be to drag my trailer there, but that may be my only option and the best way to insure I have ample storage in the event we are successful.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell you right now it's happened to me. Gear adds up so quick it will take up every last bit of space.

Had to drive 3 hours one way 2 years ago to drop animals off and then drive back out to pack up camp and get everything home.

Now we rent a uhaul trailer to haul up with gear behind the buddy's truck, and keep the jk lean to store animals. 5'x8' trailer holds everything we need for a week and costs about 150 for a week.

Headed up this morning, got two anterless elk black powder tags, best of luck! Opening day is tomorrow!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Looks like I need to grease the trailer bearings and just play it safe. I appreciate the comments. You were the victom of exactly what I want to avoid.

I can put gear and bows in the jeep with the back seat folded forward, and i'll just pull my trailer with climbing stands strapped on and i'll have plenty of room for deer.

Our WMA lands open Monday, as does guns for private lands. Bows on private lands has been open since the 1st in my county, but i've been holding off hunting my farm because my youngest son will be trying for his first deer this year!!! I'm very excited. I figure i'll let him get on the first deer of the season on the farm, and then i'll get into the mix.

Originally Posted by sa29560
Tell you right now it's happened to me. Gear adds up so quick it will take up every last bit of space.

Had to drive 3 hours one way 2 years ago to drop animals off and then drive back out to pack up camp and get everything home.

Now we rent a uhaul trailer to haul up with gear behind the buddy's truck, and keep the jk lean to store animals. 5'x8' trailer holds everything we need for a week and costs about 150 for a week.

Headed up this morning, got two anterless elk black powder tags, best of luck! Opening day is tomorrow!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I ran into the same problem. The Jeep was great for just me, but with a woman and baby and lots of sports, it wasn't happening. Especially because the kid requires a car seat which means I have to have the rear seat in so there's almost no interior space. We went down to WV (from Jersey) last year for Bridge Day, and I picked up a roof basket. All the clothes went in dry bags on the roof along with the stroller. BASE rig and snacks/etc went in the 'trunk'. It actually worked out really well, EVERYTHING fit on the roof and we had nothing rattling around inside. I see you have a soft top so you'd be looking at a body mounted roof rack which gets $$$ fast, but I was very happy with the results so I figured it was worth sharing.

This was after the 8 hour overnight (thank you coffee) drive home. Look at all that crap!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

Dang, you did have a lot of crap. Bad news with the stuff I have to carry around is most of it is large and rigid. Roof rack isn't an option, though your rig looks awesome. I think i'm going to be stuck pulling the trailer.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found myself in the same situation this season! As far as where to put a deer, I threw it across the stinger, tied the legs together and went on down the road! It was only for about 10 miles but it worked find for me
Old 04-09-2015, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haul the deer like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1295122344.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	605637  
Old 04-30-2015, 03:10 PM
JK Junkie

Love the Sahara wheels on the trailer.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I ran into the same problem. The Jeep was great for just me, but with a woman and baby and lots of sports, it wasn't happening. Especially because the kid requires a car seat which means I have to have the rear seat in so there's almost no interior space. We went down to WV (from Jersey) last year for Bridge Day, and I picked up a roof basket. All the clothes went in dry bags on the roof along with the stroller. BASE rig and snacks/etc went in the 'trunk'. It actually worked out really well, EVERYTHING fit on the roof and we had nothing rattling around inside. I see you have a soft top so you'd be looking at a body mounted roof rack which gets $$$ fast, but I was very happy with the results so I figured it was worth sharing.

This was after the 8 hour overnight (thank you coffee) drive home. Look at all that crap!
Haha.. I'm in the same boat now, beginning the search for the perfect rack now

Quick Reply: 2 Door jeep and.... Two bows, two climbing stands, gear bags, out of room....